We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Hi There,

We are coming there in just 1 week as part of our honeymoon. Looking forward to having cocktails at the hotel, but am concerned about ice. What can anyone tell us?

Thanks

Nathan

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

No problem with ice...in most places. FActory made ice is the norm for drinks just about everywhere. Enjoy your cocktails. We've had 5 stays at the Peninsula...great hotel...enjoy your honeymoon!

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

No problems with ice in the cocktails at the Peninsula or anywhere else for that matter. Seems pretty safe in most bars or restaurants.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Drinks with ice is a risk.

My friend got pretty ill after having a cocktail with ice. I avoided ice during the trip and didn't have a problem.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Sorry , but I can't help saying , how do you know the ice made your friend sick?

I came back from Thailand very sick once and the health dept. here said it could have been heaps of things made me sick.

Mainly hotel buffet foods, touching toilet doors , virus,oysters or other raw seafood, the list can be endless.

The ice is usually ok in most restaurants, you can tell because it is uniform size anywhere you go.

Lindy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Also try the Sky Bar at the Lebua hotel for cocktails. A lot more spectacular than the Peninsula (probably a little more expensive too) as it's on the 65th floor and outside. Ice was OK. Just a short trip across the river from the Peninsula. There's also Breezes and Distil bars at the Lebua which also have spectacular views.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Nothing to worry about.

I lived in Thailand for a year and never got sick.

If you do, just chalk it up to bad long. I can't tell you one thing to avoid, as I consumed everything and never got sick.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

Ice in Thailand is manufactured by the same companies that produce bottled water. You're not likely to get ill from it, especially in a 5-star hotel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

"Sorry , but I can't help saying , how do you know the ice made your friend sick?"

It's a fair question. We don't know. He felt ill after having the drink. When we got back to the hotel, he was sick as a dog that night and for two days.

But you're right - it could have been any number of things that made him sick(!).

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,459 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

The little round pieces of ice with hole in it should be okay. Especially in the Peninsula Hotel, since that is an expensive place there's no need to cut corners with cheap home made ice!

Some of the street vendors who handle ice without washing their hands (after they use a toilet) may transfer some contamination. Many street vendors shave ice or crush it to better use it on their food products.

I use the ice in bars, even beer bars, I picked up the habit of putting ice in beer to keep it cool. When I lived in Asia many,many years ago almost all beer was sold warm and the ice was used to cool it down, I kept that habit!

It's not like Mexico!

Good luck.

Belgium
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ice+Drinks+Peninsula Hotel=??

It is too much hassle for bars and restaurants to use home made ice. Cost of 1 kg of ice is about 20Baht. They get them delivered in huge bags several times a day. These places are pretty carefull with this. But again, I have heard this so many times from every holiday destination I have been to.

Tell your friend he could have gotten sick washing his teeth and flushing his mouth with water from the tap.

He could have gotten sick from the dirty water he swam in. He even could have gotten it from taking a shower.