We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Laptop in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Laptop in Bangkok

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a safe place to buy a laptop in Bangkok? I'm going to be staying in the Amari Watergate Hotel and heard there was a great electronics shop almost next door.

Thank a mil!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

Yes there is Pantip Plaza almost just round the corner

Great place

Google Pantip Plaza Bangkok.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

What sort of prices are laptops there?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

Prices are very similar to Europe, from about 25000 bht upwards.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

If you do buy a laptop then you should get the VAT refund for tourists

currently 7%

Make sure you get an international guarantee and your model is available in your home country otherwise you will have a problem getting it repaired if you have a problem with it.

Most models available in Asia are for the Asia market.

bangkok
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

If you were interested in an Acer laptop,theres a great place just down from Sukhumvit.It`s actually an official Acer repair centre with a factory outlet on site.

I was in there last week,and they have some really impressive deals.I did some comparisons through Google and Kelkoo and the prices were cheaper for a change ,than what i could buy for in U.K.Im never very impressed by Pantips and Fortune towns prices to be honest.

As it`s an Acer outlet you would have no problems with the guarantee`s.

Also if you wanted to change the keyboard for an English keyboard,they could probably do that for you as well.Standard charge for working on a laptop is 800b + the component cost.

RED5

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

in regards to getting the 7% VAT abck at the airport. you can only do this if the shop/dealer you bought it from has the appropriate paperwork/VAT forms to fill in. very few places at Pantip Plaza do this. So check first before you buy. even if they say yes, get them to show the forms first.

bkk3

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will just stick to getting it in the UK as knowing me it will break and I'll not be able to get it fixed!!

8. Re: Buying Laptop in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 14, 2009