We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
475 reviews
Save Topic
Visa

Hi,

I will be arriving in Bangkok on 2nd Feb and staying in thailand for a month before travelling to cambodia, vietnam and china before returning to bangkok on 28 april to get my flight back to london. My understanding is that I will need a single entry tourist visa as my flight leaves Bangkok 3 months later, is this correct?

Also I will be visiting australia and new zealand prior to this so to avoid my visa running out can I get my visa in Australia?

Does is matter if I haven't booked my transport from Thailand to Cambodia?

X2 River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Speed Boats Tours, Private Tours
Bangkok My City
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

As a UK citizen you get a 30 day visa at the immigration desk when you arrive.

There is now a notice that says you must show your return ticket at immigration when you arrive.

Your 3 month ticket may do when you explain you will be going to Cambodia, Vietnam and China before returning to bangkok on 28 April to get your flight back to London.

When u return To Bangkok you will again get a 30 day visa at the immigration desk when you arrive.

As a UK citizen there is no need to get a visa before if only staying 30 days.

Do not overstay your visa there is a fine of 500 Baht a day.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

As a UK citizen (and many others as well) you can get a 30 day VISA EXEMPTION when you arrive in Thailand provided you have proof of onward travel in the form of an airline ticket or e-ticket printout.

The airline that flies you into Thailand will require you to show upon check in that you have either the required proof of onward travel to qualify you for the 30 day VISA EXEMPTION or an actual VISA already in your passport. As the airline is held responsible for transporting ineligible for entry passengers and they are heavily fined for doing so, they are unlikely to allow you to board your inbound flight without the required eligibility for VISA EXEMPTION or a proper VISA.

You can get your actual VISA while you are in Australia if you are there for long enough for it to be processed. www.thaiembassy.org.au/consular_section.asp It might just be easier and save your holiday time to get the VISA while you are still at home.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
475 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

Thank you for your advise...I am just concencerned as the post you replied said "your outward ticket MAY do." I will be on my own at this point in my travels and don't want any problems with Thai immigration so to be safe do you think it would be best to get a tourist visa?

Thank you for your help.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

Provided you can show sufficient funds to continue your journey then u should be ok.

You do not need to get a visa in Aus.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa

Like I said, your inbound airline may refuse to carry you if you don't have the visa or proof of onward travel. They really do not want to be penalized for flying in passengers without proper visas or qualificatioins for visa exemption.

If you don't understand the rules for visa exemption (which you do not qualify for without an onward air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival in Thailand) then you should phone the Thai embassy or consulate where you are and consult with them.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa

Breconian...you aren't giving up to date advise to this question. The latest information which is supported by my own experience in August as well as a good friend who entered Thailand just last week is that they are much more strict about the visa exemption, and the airlines DO check that passengers have either a visa or qualifiy for visa exemption. Having enough money will not force the airline to transport you if you don't have the visa or qualify for exemption. Immigration once in Thailand isn't the big problem...that can be gotten around, yes. Boarding the flight into Thailand may well be impossible though for the OP without a visa.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa

thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/…202006.pdf

The visa exemption conditions are clearly stated there.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
475 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa

Thanks guys, this is most helpful. I have just checked the website provided and to be exempt from visas you need a flight out of the country within 30 days so that rules me out.

If I get a tourist visa, I know they are valid for 3 months so does this mean I just need to enter Thailand before the 3 months is up or do I need to complete my stay within the 3 months? The reason I ask is that if I get my tourist visa now and I have to enter AND leave within 3 months I may not be leaving myself enough time.

Thanks again.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa

If you get a tourist visa, that covers you for one entry. Then when you leave, that's the end of that visa. When you enter Thailand again to get your flight out of Bangkok, as long as your flight is within 30 days of that entry and you can prove it, you can enter on a visa exemption.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa

Now I realize your question was different.

You get 60 days for a tourist visa, 90 days for a non-immigrant visa. You can choose single, double or triple entry as well. Single entry visas expire 3 months after issue, so you need to enter Thailand before that 3 months is up. The multiple entry visa expires 6 months after the date of issue, so you need to enter Thailand for the last time before that 6 months is up.

thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/…20Regulations.pdf

thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/…20Pack.pdf