We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Thanks all for the great advice. 2 days was not enough. We arrived from Singapore and went straight out to Kanchanaburi and will tell all about that in yet another forum lol.

We arrived back to Bangkok via the bus that dropped us off near the Grand Hotel. We tried to get a taxi but it was 7pm and about 5 taxis just refused to take us. We were told it was a very long way to our hotel. It was going to cost between 300 and 400 baht. So reluctantly we agreed after being knocked back by several to pay 300 baht. (We just thought that was a bit steap considering we had just spent 2 hours in a minivan for about the same price)

We stayed at Centrepoint Petchburi. Now it was only about 2km I think so we were a bit annoyed but given we had been knocked back we just lived with it.

We enjoyed our stay at centrepoint and I will give a review on the hotel. We loved the markets down below and also being across the road from Platinum and IT city was great.

The next day we had organised for Mr Chob to take us out on a cultural tour.

We visited the Grand Palace, Reclining buddah (I kept calling it the leaning buddah and this made Mr Chob laugh). We also went on a longboat ride. I started to feel a bit queezy from the smells and rough water so we decided to cut the day short. Mr Chob certainly knew his stuff and I am sure he must have thought we didn't appreciate the trip but I didn't feel the best and just had to get back to the hotel. We then went in a cab to the Hotel and spent over an hour in traffic. i think we moved about 1 km in 1/2 hour. Even Mr chob said he had never before seen traffic that bad. Sitting in the cab I just felt so lousy.

Ross was not really into the day but he tagged along becuase he knew I was interested. One thing I learnt. Make sure partner knows what is happening all the way and don't book something he may not like to do.

One big thing I did learn in bangkok. (Wish I knew this earlier) lol. Do not touch a monk!!!

Noone told me and in the busy street I bumped into one. Ohh no it reminded me of watching the movie "Life of Brian" where the guy hadn't talked for years and years....Here I was in the same situation. Never touch a woman. Damn i nearly gave him a bear hug! I wonder how it is effecting him???

So I made sure I side stepped everyone since then.

Had a relaxing afternoon and the tummy settled down a bit so off to Patpong. i had been before and we found this tiny little bar and yes i rang the bell...lol. I had counted first how many were there but I am sure suddenly there were the cousins, neighbours, long lost friends coming over to say hello for a free drink. lol. Ohh well it was worth the bit of fun and i became a legend in the bar. lol

Next day we slept in and then did a bit more shopping. The prices were so good and we bought lots of tshirts, shorts, sunnies, shoes etc. i even found a pair of size 44 shoes for me at the market!!!

Will definately go again and will definately stay at centrepoint. It had a great view, a balcony and a small kitchen.

Never did make it to the weekend market but felt we did ok shopping.

Will be back!

Wendy

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
BKK Tours
Private Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Just Nok Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Hi again Wendy

Read the other post first.

We are having 4 nights in Bangkok at the start of the holiday,then 2 nights at the end.Hence only the one day in Kanchanaburi.

What did you mean when you say you rang the bell?Hope you got some bought for YOU.

We're staying at the Pathumwan Princess so handy for shopping at MBK.I'm looking forward to eating in the foodhall.......any one.Was a bit concerned about using chopsticks (can never get the hang of them )but,I've read somewhere that you use a spoon and fork anyway.

MARGARET

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Good to read your report, 11 sleeps to go!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Hi Wendy,

Would love to hear more about your travels. Wanna catch up one day when you've recovered?

Beezely

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Mags,

When you ring the bell you shout the bar! lol. Cost me 1500 Baht!!! OMG lol. But had a ball. Still cheap as chips though for a night out.

Beez, yeah would be great meeting up. We should have a Brissy TA get together.

Bet we would have fun!!

Wen

x

australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Hi Wendy,

I will be spending 4 nights at Pathawan Princess, in Bangkok. My brother lives in Bangkok so will be having xmas dinner with him.

Don't know what size you are but how was the shopping for women size 14 ans 16, do you have any idea?

I am loving your JBReports.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Poss,

I am an Aussie 18-20. I go for the XL Tshirts and they fit but I wont ever put them in the dryer. I did find some lovely summer cotton dresses in Patong that I bought but I didn't see any in Bangkok as I didnt even think any would have fit me so really didnt bother looking. I am sure though they would have them or if not get some made up.

Wen

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

Another good report Wendy, feel like Im going round the world here. How lucky are you finding shoes to fit, I gave up and dont even look anymore.

Cathy

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

lol Cathy! It wasn't easy! We are hoping to get back LOS (see I know what that means now hehehehe) in say May/June next year. I will pm with dates when I know as I would love to share a bacardi or two with you!

Wen

x

9. Re: 2 days in Bangkok - JBR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 14, 2009