We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

I expect that this will be too tight of a connection, too much risk and so will not do it.

I will fly from Chiang Rai (or Chiang Mai) to domestic airport (Don Mueang) arriving at 15:45 on Sunday, January 6 and would need to get to BKK for international flight that departs at 18:05. This allows 2:20 to connect; (if I fly in from Chiang Mai I will have 2:30 to connect).

1) About how long does it take late Sunday afternoon to take a taxi to BKK from Don Mueang? If it is more than 30 minutes, you can probably ignore the other questions below.

2) I'd plan to only have carry-on for the flight from Chiang Rai to Don Mueang airport. I expect that carry-on luggage room is small. Do you think if I split the content of my soft-sided small back pack and gave half of it to my son that that would work. Clearly there would be no time to wait for any checked baggage if one were to try to make this international connecting flight.

Thai Airways indicated that it is 27km between the two airports and thought it would take at least 30 minutes to travel it. But as always I find the advice of people on the forum to often be more accurate and helpful.

3) I will do my own research by checking flight status online report. For Nok-Air domestic flights, any experience with how frequently and what the length of delays might be like in January?

Thanks so much, Edward

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Hello Edward,

With all the traffic lights it will take more than 30 mnts to drive from the old airport Don Muang to the new airport BKK. Would suggest you fly from Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai to the new international airport. Air Asia and Thai Airways fly to BKK.

Tony

Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Thanks Tony for information. After I posted I did some more research on options and pretty much came to the conclusion to use a different airline as you suggest and get directly into BKK to have more confidence in making the international flight. It will be nice when the old airport is phased out. Edward

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Hello Edward,

The old airport has been closed in September 2006. In March I drove by the old airport. It was just a ghost town. Some lowcost airlines insisted to reopen the old one for their flights. Thatswhy they have only reopened it recently special for them. However if you have a flight to the new airport, you can already check your luggage to your final destination in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, and also you might get a boardingcard. You will have to go thru international departures and at Bangkok airport you can go straight to your international flight or, if you didn't get your boardingpass yet, to the transferdesk.

Tony

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,498 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Tony81,

I'm afraid you are out of date. After problems at the new airport in early 2007, the old airport was reopened and latest information is that it will remain open permanently as a domestic flight base. Nok Airn and 1-2-go and certain Thai domestic flights operate from there with Thai International, Bangkok Airways, Air Asia and some 1-2-go flights operating from the new airport.

Nevertheless, your advice to Edward to fly from new airport is sound.

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Arandora,

FYI: 1-2-go is planning to leave from the new airport only. Thai Airways has only a few flights out of the old airport. According to an article in the Bangkok Post it was reopened due to some low cost airlines and for domestic flights only. Nevertheless I would not use the old airport at all for my international connnections.

Tony

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,498 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

Tony,

I agree with you. We flew out of the new airport with Nok to Phuket last March but returned in April to the old one. Fortunately we were staying in Bangkok not transferring to an international flight. I am about to book flights for next January BKK to Phuket but am not considering Nok because of treck across the city. Pity as Nok Air were very good and very cheap.

Alan

7. Re: Domestic airport to BKK for connecting Intl. flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:35 am, September 10, 2009