We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Klongs tour by longtail boat

australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Klongs tour by longtail boat

Hi there

How much is it to hire a longtail boat for 1 or 2 hours to tour the klongs. We are 4 adults. Is it possible to get a boat along the river at any peir or do we have to get one from central peir when we get off the BTS. I have read that you must bargain hard. Any helpful tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Diedre

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Klongs tour by longtail boat

I think we paid 500 baht from memory and it took about an hour, but it didnt go too far.... I was a little disappointed... between 4 of you though that is not much.... I think the Nancy Chandler Map/Website has a suggestion for a klong tour. Worth ordering.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Klongs tour by longtail boat

Nothing could be easier than to organise a klong tour by longtail, as there are plenty of drivers and touts looking for you... you don't have to go searching for them. We chose to do one of the klongs that wasn't too central to the city, in the hope that a remote area would be a less-developed and free from other tourists. So we caught the ferry to the farthest-north stop it would take us: Tha Nonthaburi (the price is the same regardless of the distance, and the twenty-minute ferry trip was pleasant in itself)

As soon as we left the ferry we saw a couple of longtail boats berthed at the wharf, so we just sort of strolled over to have an idle look. Instantly we were approached by someone asking if we wanted a two-hour ride around the Klong (which, I think, is Klong Om, but, not having a map in front of me, I'm not sure about that). We casually asked how much, and were quoted the price which the guide books all say is what you pay down in the city centre. So, of course, we politely declined, and started to leave the wharf. The price dropped 300 baht (from 1000 to 700) before we had taken a dozen steps, so our "tout" took us across to the boatman, who agreed to the negotiated price, and away we went... just the four of us and the boatman.

The trip took about two and a quarter hours, so for about twenty dollars all up, we found this was a cheap and pleasant morning. Since this is the only klong tour we took, we can't tell you how this one compares, for scenery, with any of the others... but there are lots of temples, durian plantations, general stores with their owm piers, and kids swimming in the water.

The price is always per boat, not per passenger, so don't let anyone talk you into a "500 each" price. You could fit a lot more than four people into a longtail boat, and perhaps one of the other advantages of travelling further away from the city centre to do your hiring is that you will be assured that the boat will be yours and yours alone.

Have a great trip!

australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Klongs tour by longtail boat

Thank you so much for your replies. I will definety take your advise. Gee that sounds like a cheap way to spend 2 glorious hours.

Thanks again Diedre

4. Re: Klongs tour by longtail boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 08, 2009