We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guides and markets

Brisbane ,Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
tour guides and markets

just an interesting thought im going to book a tour guide and they say they will take u to markets and barter for you or help you buying things what i was thinking they might get commission from sellers,

i don't mind paying a fair price for things as its so cheap any way but what are your thought on this ,has any one been in same situation and has come off good.

X2 River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Speed Boats Tours, Private Tours
Bangkok My City
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guides and markets

It would depend on the guide. It could work if you use a guide that has a good reputation... and it always pays to arm yourself with a rough guide of prices...

Auckland
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guides and markets

we went to the floating markets with our guide but she wasnt keen to get involved in bartering as the thai people would not like her for it. She told us after we left that most of the stuff is cheap quality but she didnt want to say it in front of the sellers. you can barter without the help of a tour guide anyway. just learn some basic thai words and you'll be fine, tao rai, pang (how much, expensive) and what you want to pay. they usually always show you a calculator with the price and you can just tap in your desired price. start ot walk away if you cant get the price you want and most of the time they will be chasing you down to take your price. if not, dont worry. the one thing we found with thailand is that there is a lot of the same stuff everywhere. if you cant get a good price at one seller, the next is likely to have the same merchandise so shop around!

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tour guides and markets

Not all the tour guides get that commission.

Tong bargained for me very hard. When we did bangkok tour. She brought us to a place where you could buy the stuff at 25 baht while street-sellers at wat Pho sold it at 250 baht. Post card at 2 baht each.

When we were at the floating market last time, we bought some souvenirs that people on the other boat had bought at 100 baht..when the seller saw her. We could get at 50 baht.

She said she charges for her knowledge and services. Dirty money is not her way.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tour guides and markets

agree with fabtrav. Not all tour guides get paid commission. Some might, but I think most dont. Especially if its bargaining off the market .

Brisbane ,Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guides and markets

thanks for your reply s i am going with one of tongs coleagues so i think i will be fine on what u guys say.

thanks again

stafford
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guides and markets

How do we find a tour guide that we can trust?

We are going to Bangkok for the first time this august and planning our trip.

Does anyone have a contact number or email for a good tour guide?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tour guides and markets

The following is Tong's contact information.

Tong

+66 8 1 914 6045

+66 8 1 835 0240

tourwithtong@yahoo.com

AJ

8. Re: tour guides and markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 05, 2009