We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Political Instability

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Political Instability

Hi,

Read from the news that there is daily protest in BK now and there will be a major rally on 24 June. Can someone help to provide some insight abt the current situation in BK now. Are the protesting taking place near the tourist area.

Thank you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Political Instability

Right now in Bangkok there is no daily protest, however in the past 2 weeks ago, there was a protest on the streets. As for the rally on the 24th june, lets hope someone is here to update, cuz I can't really help here.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Political Instability

From what I saw in the news paper the protest last Sat was at SanamLuang Park. Not a tourist area. I've not personally experienced a protest in the last few weeks. Just saw it in the paper. I haven't heard of the 24th June protest. In all my years in Thailand I've not seen a violent protest. People are peaceful. This is all I can say.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Political Instability

Hello :

I agree that Thai's people are peaceful Non violent .

Thai's Monarchy democracy system is quite unique in this

S.E. Asia region and always stable .

I don't think the protest will take place at any tourist attractions

or any shopping malls here BKK. The tourist industry is a large

part of this economy and no body can afford to rock this Tourist

Boat . So, it is safe and sound to come and visit BKK at anytime.

The main caution is of course watch out the traffic when crossing

Sukhumvit thanon . It was quite very busy at all time when I

was there in May, 2007.

Enjoy your trip,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Political Instability

I am travelling all over Bangkok daily, and apart from in the newspapers I wouldn't know about any protests.

Suan Lum is where rallies take place and of course any major rally will involve a march somewhere, but no political Thai rally will involve tourist sites or Royal sites.

It is purely political.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Political Instability

Hi all,

Thank you for your inputs. I really hope i can go to BK next weekend, i will have to convince my mother in law that Bangkok is safe.

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Political Instability

Brandz

At the moment things are okay. a number of protests against the current military junta have been held over the past few weeks. most have been held peacefully at Sanam Luang, also known as The Royal Field. Last Saturday's protest was estimated to be about 15000 people.

To say that Sanam Luang is not in a tourist area is wrong. It is a 5 minute walk to a number of national museums and less than 10 minutes walk to the Grand Palace and Wat Pho. Over the year a number of festivals occur at Sanam Luang such as the Royal Ploghing Ceremony, Song Khran and the golden Mount Fair. These attract not only Thais but tourists and visitors alike. Granted it is not an everyday tourist site but people do visit nonetheless when festivals are on.

ANDYBKK - Sanam Luang is a royal site, it's known as the Royal Field as mentioned above.

From various sources, including the media, a number of prodemocracy groups are trying to organise a large rally/protest at Sanam Luang on June 24. this may occur or not.

Jemima - i don't expect you to have a great knowledge of thai political history and it's associated episodes of violence that has accompanied it, but there are a number of good political history books in Asia books and alike. Also i was here in the early 90s working here when there was a bloody military coup and payback from other political groups that resulted in several hundred people dead and missing.

This country has had about 13/14 military coups in less than 80 years, some bloodless and some very very bloody.

I would also like to point out that before the former primeminister was deposed a number of pro and anti-thaksin groups did protest and rally outside Siam Paragon, Central World and Silom Road. so to say that it would never happen at these type of places again is wrong. It's possible it may or may not happen again. Never say never.

Brandz - as i've mentioned on this forum before. get as much info as possible and then make a decision. if it feels right then come, it's a great city to visit. However if it doesn't feel right then postpone or try somewhere else. The choice is yours along with your travelling companions.

bkk3

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Political Instability

Hi AndyBKK - a typing error crept into your post.

the protests are an Sanam Luang and not at our favorite night shopping market Suan Lum.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Political Instability

Thaksin's assets have been frozen, the "government" has stated today that he is free to come back and defend himself against any charges of wrongdoing,his lawyer says he will do so, and I, for the first time in a while am scared about the possible scenarios on the streets. A colleagues driver told me last night that when HE comes back recent demos will pale into comparison with those of recent times. I'll say again: a tourist is very unlikely to come across or be affected by any of this. However, noone should underestimate the popularity of the former P.M. and the sitiution is worth monitoring more closely than usaul.

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Political Instability

bangkokgas,

We fly to bangkok tomorrow night. Normally this kind of thing doesnt bother or scare me and I ignore it and keep planning my trip without a second thought, but the fact that you've said its unsettled you as unnerved me only slightly!

Defintely still coming (something awful could happen and id still probably come) but, are there any precautions we should take? Ive never been to Bangkok and don't know the city at all, therefore wouldn't know areas to stay away from or anything like that.

Kara

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Political Instability

Bangkokgas & Others

There is definitely interesting, and hopefully non-violent, times ahead. I can't believe they decided to freeze his assets. This just invites him back into the country where i've got no doubt that millions of Thais will be ecstatic. Has the military junta shot itself in the foot.

The nanny who works for us has just come back today from upcountry and on hearing the news that thaksin may come back to defend himself has thrown her into a state of delerium - she is very pro-Thaksin along with the other 40,000,000 thais who live in the countryside. Is this the start of a thaksin revival? there are rumours of coups and counter coups everyday, political paybak from Thai Rak Thai.

i've noticed (for bangkok) how eeriely quiet it is after 6 p.m. in the evening. fewer cars on the road, shopping centres practically deserted. is something afoot? is there something i don't know but everybody else does? my wife says that her thai work colleagues are being very reticent lately, not alot of laughter in the office. people finishing work and going straight home.

we'll see eventually i guess.

bkk3