We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a driver

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hiring a driver

Hi, I am heading to Bangkok in a few days time for 4D3N. I am looking if its more affordable to hire a driver or use the Grab app. As I will be travelling in a group of 6, it might be difficult to get a grab driver on the go all the time. Please kindly advise/give opinions. THANK YOU!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
3 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a driver

For 6 people you would need a van.Or you would need two taxis, you might find a Grab that I a van

Traffic can be an issue in Bangkok, so you would need to decide how best yo use a driver. Bangkok is much about where you are staying and public transport links.

Chok Dee

Edited: 2:12 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,698 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a driver

I would look into using the BTS/MRT/river taxis/walking/tuk-tuks vs a van. Unless someone has trouble walking up steps or just walking, that is what i would suggest.

You could be stuck in traffic for several hours during your stay in Bangkok vs exploring the city.

Mentioned in this post
MRT
MRT
2,255 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a driver

I agree that you should use the BTS skytrain or MRT underground or if near the river the very cheap Orange Flag express boats which are only 15 baht per journey. Some places in Bangkok you can get around a lot by walking eg if around Banglamphu ( Khao San Road, Soi Rambuttri, Phra Arthit Road etc.) If getting meter taxis never choose a parked one as you will be cheated. Flag one down in a main road and say destination when he opens the window. If he mentions a price just wave him on and get another taxi because they should use the meter. A meter fare is much less than a fixed price, sometimes 50% less. There are thousands of taxis in Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
MRT
MRT
2,255 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Banglamphu
Banglamphu
83 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand