We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending parcels to Bangkok

3 posts
Save Topic
Sending parcels to Bangkok

I'm traveling in Thailand and don't have a permanent address. I need to send a parcel to Bangkok. Does anyone know if it's safe to send it to a post office as a collection point or should I send it to a hotel I'll stay at?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
13 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

From a safety point of view, I doubt there is any difference between the two. After all the post office will handle your package, so if anything nefarious was going to happen, it will happen irregardless of who holds the package at the end.

Sending it to your hotel has the advantage of not having to go pick it up.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

Is this something you need right away? Are you mailing something from far away? Will the cost of mailing something using some sort of expedited service cost more than just buying the item in Bangkok??

Will you be in Bangkok long enough for a package to show up?

-

Old link:

thailandguru.com/thailand-postal-office-cour…

From above link:

"If you don't yet have an address at which you wish to receive packages, then you can receive packages on hold at most branches of the post office. This is called the "poste restante" service. You should ask the sender to PRINT your name clearly, and underline it, too. It will probably be filed under your surname, but sometimes will be under the first name."

Of course no drugs or anything that will get you thrown in prison!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

Will the Post Office hold an item for you ? Better verify that one, as never heard of that, though never asked.

Allow 2 weeks regular post. Anything else may be expensive, especially if using big name expediter, and as stated, is it worth the expense vs buying here. Many things get held up and inspected at Customs, so don't think of doing thing illegal along with added delay and expense (duty)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

Be careful with what you send as it will most likely travel through the Bangkok International PO where it will be closely monitored , perhaps x-rayed, and you may have to go to the PO and explain why you sent something and what is it to be used for. I have had this experience and it is certainly no fun and it is a lengthily process. English is not common at the International PO!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

You mean they didn't understand what a 'back or prostate' massager was.......555

Singalila National...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

Even if you address it to your hotel you still may have to go to pick it up at customs depending on content. Not just Thailand but in many countries parcels get checked carefully these days.

Mentioned in this post
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

If you are already in Thailand, it's easy to send something to Bangkok. We did this in March from Koh Samui - just went to the post office and a 7kg parcel and a weird, long size (a drawer front) cost around 350 baht, it arrived in Bangkok within 3 days. This was with EMS.

If you let your hotel know in advance and write on the parcel you are a guest checking in on xx date, it should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

I think I'll use the poste retante service and pick it up at the central post office. Do you know what the address for the central post office is? I have heard several different ones.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

Hi

Why can't you take it with you? How Big?

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending parcels to Bangkok

It's being delivered to me from outside Thailand. So they want a place to send it to that I can pick it up from. I'm trying to decide if there's a post office that's trustworthy to hold onto the parcel. Otherwise I'll get it sent to a hotel. But a hotel's not going to be used to holding onto parcels for a few weeks so I don't trust them in case they misplace it.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Sending parcels to Bangkok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;