We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Morning in Bangkok

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Morning in Bangkok

Hi,

we arrive in bangkok at 10pm at night so by the time we get to Hotel (marriot mayfair appts) will be too late to do anything,

Does anyone have any suggestions for the perfect way to start off out holiday in Bangkok...ie somewhere good for authentic breakfast , somewhere to mooch local market or something, you know somewhere so thai so that we can get immersed in thai culture straight off.

thanks

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

HI

In the morning when you leave the Marriot and walk down into the street away from hotel you will be immediately immersed in the Thai "bangkok" culture. the noise ,the smells "not bad but so many different ones" the crush of people. the heat it is sometimes overwhelming at first. but soon you get into it and its a great sensory overload.

eat at the street vendors if you want authentic breakfast.

you won't find it at any cafes that cater to tourists,

go to "enjoythaifoods" to see and how to order street food.

My first day I was overwhelmed and amazzed but soon I could pick out the smell of food I wanted from half a block away. the only time I don't eat on the street is when my hotel has breakfast included.

you will have a great time and I am sure you will find good authentic food.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

Hi, me again....are there any markets that are on During the week....if so where are they and when are they on....our weekends are kinda spoken for already...

thanks

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

Hi Wotz

In reply to your market question - the Suan Lum Night Bazaar is on every evening I think from about 5pm but some of them dont open till later. Well worth a look around its quite big. Khao San Road has street stalls and shops.

NY
Level Contributor
208 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

Patpong market is pretty good for t-shirts. And you can also get a glimpse of the street scene as the girlie shows start to open up. The best market, though, I think, is the weekend market at the end of the sky train line (Mo Chit stop), but its only open on Saturday and Sunday.

The market onKho San Road is great for college kids and backpackers.

Lastly, beware the Tuk-Tuk drivers. (Best to take a taxi.) Tuk-Tuk drivers will pretend to be friendly and recommend all sorts of out-of-the-way stuff run by their family and friends. It's a total scam. And it's rampant! Also - at the markets - when you hand the vendors your money,make sure a friend watches the transaction carefully. One time, the vendor claimed I didn't give him enough cash - when I was sure that I did. He started calling over his friends, etc.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

"we arrive in bangkok at 10pm at night so by the time we get to Hotel (marriot mayfair appts) will be too late to do anything-----"

NOT REALLY!

I usually arrive around midnight and after a quick clean up and lock my money away in the safe, I head out for a couple hours. I WISH I could arrive at 10 PM. Bangkok still has lots of nightlife going on through out the night. Bangkok is a 24 hour city, you will find streets (like Sukhumvit) full of people shopping, drinking, eating or selling stuff.

On the first morning after you arrive, I wouldn't sleep in too late, my preference is to get up at least by 8 am and hit the road. I find that this adjusts me to the time changes a little better than sleeping real late.

You can check out some of the food courts in the malls. Lots of food choices are at really good prices. If you like your meats well done circle that term in your phrase book!! Supermarkets like Foodland (Sukhumvit Soi 5) and Tops have pretty good lunch counters selling Thai food and Farang (foreign) food.

Some travelers like to buy food from street vendors, I don't! I like the people who are preparing my food to have running water to wash their hands off after using a toilet or scratching their butts. But that's me!

When you take a taxi in Bangkok only pay the meter fare. There are so many taxi cabs that if the guy you get wants to bargain you can simply get another one in a minute or so. Paying the meter is cheaper than bargaining and the price covers everyone you can safely stuff in the car. Have small bills available to pay the taxi driver, they may not be able to cash 500 baht notes. Hail a moving taxi from the street, parked taxi cabs often want to haggle the price, especially if you are staying at an expensive hotel (anything over 1800 baht.)

Tuk-tuks will be more expensive than the air conditioned taxi cabs. I agree that many tuk-tuk drivers try to kidnap you and bring you to places that they will get a commission from.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

SawadeeKa. I love the way that you describe the feeling of Thailand !! It's just how i see it as well. I am sure you have said similer things in other post, you should do travel writings !

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

I SHALL arrive in BKK around 1:30AM. The Airlines come from

LAX via Taipei are always arriving in really weehours !

I don't plan much this early morning , but, is there anything

I can do at this time in the Nana plaza area?

Thanks,

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

To the last post about the Nana Plaza area - I just stayed there last week and can attest that the nightlife on Soi 4 will continue well past 1:30 am. Once the bars close people stick around for a while and many of the vendors will still be open. People will continue selling beer from coolers and there will be plenty of food around. If you like to people watch and don't mind being approached by the bar girls it can be kind of a fun place to hang out.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

Thanks Sky traveller for the Infos. I think the activities around

soi 4 Nana Plaza area in the early morning just what the doctor

order for me in BKK. . have a beer , food and watching bar girls

and all dudes parade in thanon Sukhumvit .

Can't wait to be back BKK after 10years in absence .

Thanks Bro.

10. Re: First Morning in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 29, 2009