We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

We're heading over to Bangkok in early April and would appreciate some advice.

We're not going to be there over the weekend so will miss out on the famous Chat Mkt. I also understand that Suan Lum night market is about to close. (What a disappointment!). Any other night markets or similar you could recommend for a bargain?

How about some top rated places to eat? Thai and Western.

Finally, a good tailor would also be great. (Not for suits but for silk dressing gowns etc)

We're staying at the Grand Majestic at Sukhumvit. Any thoughts, tips or recommendations from people who've stayed there? Especially what's reasonable to pay for taxi or tuk tuk fares.

Many thanks in anticipation

Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

Thats quite disappoiting to be missing out on Jatuchak. But plenty of other places to try. :)

First, Suan Lum night market. Its not confirmed yet that it'll be closing down. Its just rumours. So you never know, when you come, it still just might be open. Some other markets that you can try include Patpong, MBK mall, Platinum mall, Bobae market and Pratunam market.

Places to eat - for thai - Mahanagra seems to have got its good reviews of late

Western - if ure going to be in MBK, try out their food court on the 6th or 7th floor I'm not sure.

Tailors - Crown Tailors in soi 8. Not too far from your hotel.

Majestic Grande is a great place to stay. Got great reviews and is in an excellent location easily accesible with the sky train. If you're going to use Tuk Tuks, get ready for the scams, from taking you to tailor shops for their "gas coupons" to gem stores and so on. Better to use taxis or the sky train.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

We stayed at the landmark hotel also on sukumvit road. This is a fantastic location as the shopping malls (check out MBK and Siam Paragon which has an amzaing aquarium in the lower levels) are a 5 min sky train journey away. In the evenings on sukumvit road they seem to have a night market of their own as there are tons of stalls libing the street and this place really comes alive. (buying from the stalls is sometimes cheaper than at the malls)

You will find loads of places to eat on sukumvit road. We went to Cabbages and Condoms which sells reasonably priced simple Thai seafood dishes. I would recommend this place for the actual restaurant as you can sit outside (this place is really tucked away off one of the side streets soi 12 i think) and its the most beautiful place ive eaten as its lit up with fairly lights hanging from the trees and dont forget to pick up a souvonier from here! Another place we ate was Pasta and Noodles which is pretty obvious what kind of food is here also they do various Thia dishes at a reasonable price. Eating out will definately be cheaper than your hotel, although i must admit the food at the Landmark was good also (The Huntsman pub in the basement is available to all aswell as hotle guests and provides a fantasitc variety of western and thai food.)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

Hi there,

Have a look at my link below, theres loads of info on eating out eg, Thai food, buffets, seafood, Food courts, Yum Cha etc, plus a few pages on shopping with prices and photos.

4. Re: Places to eat and shop - all round tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, August 19, 2009