We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Late Kings Funeral

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
The Late Kings Funeral

After much prep and planning we will be ending our 3 week trip to Thailand with 3 days in Bangkok from 25th October. I have just seen that the funeral of the late king has now been set for 26th October which will take place over 5 days and huge crowds are expected. We plan to visit the royal palace and other tourist spots during our time there and am now worried these may be closed. Anyone have any idea how our trip may be affected?

152 replies to this topic
Denmark
Level Contributor
369 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Hi,

There are a few contradictory informations about the date for the Late King's funeral, but still no official information. Some Thai newspapers have even withdrawn previous info. I know that Reuter News is still showing a date, which isn't officially confirmed. We will all have to wait for the official announcement in The Royal Gazette in due time.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

As you have already mentioned there are likely to be huge crowds of mourners because the late King was very highly respected and loved. A good idea to wear black to show respect while you are in that area. Look for information by googling the Bangkok Post and The Nation, and other Thai newspapers nearer the time to check what is planned for the time you are in Bangkok.

Edited: 8:32 am, April 23, 2017
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,809 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Thai news sources have been told to hold off on a date until one is officially announced.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
611 posts
167 reviews
4. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

When ever it is you can bet BKK and the rest of Thailand will be on shut down mode.

Denmark
Level Contributor
369 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Hi,

It's now officially announced that the cremation ceremony for The Late King is set to take place October 25-29 with the actual cremation happening on October 26.

bangkokpost.com/news/general/1238311/cabinet…

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Thanks for all the feedback, we have been planning this trip for the past 5 months and everything is booked so can't be changed.I guess we will have to wait until nearer the time to see what is open.

victoria
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

I'm in a similar situation to the OP arriving on the 25 til the 29 October. I believe as tourists we should be very respectful during this period but I don't agree that Bangkok will be 'in shut down mode' Surely with the increase in Thais coming to Bangkok and Tourists many restaurants, tour operators will have business as usual, it's simply a wait and see.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,809 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Speaking with some friends, they seem to believe Bangkok will be at a slow down, many people mourning and possibly closing their businesses.

victoria
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Thanks Octobersix, I understand a slow down as apposed to a shut down

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: The Late Kings Funeral

Victoria I think you must be prepared for entertainment venues and bars to be closed for some of the 5 day period for which this event is scheduled to last.

Reply to: The Late Kings Funeral
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted