We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Fort Lee, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Hi! My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Thailand in November of next year. We would love to see the beautiful Loi Krathong Festival with the floating lanterns. Originally we were planning on splitting our trip between Bangkok and Phuket, but more research shows that Chiang Mai has the most amazing floating lantern ceremony on the night of the full moon.

My questions are, how does this celebration look in Phuket vs Chiang Mai (from my limited research, it seemed like Phuket's celebration is more of releasing lighted candles into the water vs into the sky)? Would it be worth starting off our trip in Chiang Mai for the festival and then heading off to Bangkok and Phuket given our vacation is two weeks long? If so, would you recommend taking the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back?

24 replies to this topic
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

If you want to really experience the festival you need to go to Chiang Mai or Sukhothai. It will give you the best experience.

Edited: 12:17 pm, November 02, 2016
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

You are describing two different festivals:

Loy Krathong is the festival which involves floating boats ("krathongs") with candles. This is celebrated throughout Thailand.

The "lantern festival" you're describing is Yi Peng, something that is celebrated more widely in Chiang Mai. Note that the pictures you've likely seen of the mass lantern release are part of a ticketed, somewhat commercialized event. Yi Peng and Loy Krathong generally overlap around the same time in November, but you won't know the dates for certain until a few months prior.

I'd recommend flying between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, as the flights are cheap and quick (< 1 hour).

Edited: 1:55 pm, November 02, 2016
Fort Lee, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Thank you so much for your responses! I did not know there were two different festivals, so thank you for pointing that out!

Edited: 4:19 pm, November 02, 2016
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Read the Original Topic Post on this link for an explanation of Loy Krathong, Yee Penguin and the paid event which always cause confusion as the hundreds of posts that follow show https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Rennes
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

We have been in Chiangmai, Sukhothai and Bangkok for Loi Krathong; not Phuket. In our experience Thai's in Phuket are different, not as hospitable as those in in the north. You should arrive in Chiangmai a few days before the full moon to get situated. It becomes crowded but the scene is incomparable. Also consider Mai Hong Son for Loi Krathong. Less crowded. 🙏🏼

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Hi, flying into Koh Samui on the 3rd Nov 2017, will be missing Bangkok Loi Krathong Festival, staying at centere villas nr Lamai Beach will I still get to see it???

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
247 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

great to see this!!!! festival weekend is Nov 3 - 5 from what t I've read. we arrive on the 3rd with our group, have the night of teh 3 and 4th to our selves. I jsut wonder are there any guides that can be hired (reliable and take safety of their customers to hear)? I don't see anything so far about this, and don't want to leave it to the last minute. Perhaps our concierge in our hotel would know. We don't know our hotel for certain until July or earlyl August. Any suggestions?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Guides are not necessary, you can easily make your way to the various events in Chiang Mai town by yourself, tuk tuk or taxi. Your hotel should have a list of the events and can point them out on a city map.

Guides can come in handy if you want more insider information on the festivals. And if this is your goal, it will be good to book in advance, as better guides will have a full slate during busy festivals like these.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
247 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

thank you.. I have heard that the Yi Peng festival was cancelled last year and in fact may not be allowed anymore due to the problems with Air Traffic. Does anyone have any certaintyh on this. We will hopefully participate in the Loi Krathong as the hotel that they may be choosing for our group, will be very close.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,583 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loi Krathong Festival 2017

Arandora,

I think yee penguin is celebrated in the far south not the north. 😉

Cheers

Reply to: Loi Krathong Festival 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted