We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk tuk safety

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Tuk tuk safety

The USA embassy advises it's employees and families not to use tuk tuks and motorcycle taxis. (2013 health and safety report) Are they just being cautious? Taxis seem cheap enough and you get air conditioning and a seat belt? So is there any advantage to a noisey tuk tuk?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Tuk tuk safety

For what place. Some areas like Chiang Mai don't have taxis for general commuting, it is a tuk tuk or songthaew. If you talking Bangkok I would definitely use a taxi to save breathing all the pollution when sitting in traffic, plus you get the a/c to keep you cool.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: Tuk tuk safety

Has the US Govt advised why its not safe to use tuk tuks ?

The only place I wouldn't use them, is in bangkok

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Tuk tuk safety

Hi

I'm not sure if you're US goverment /embassy staff or something to do with the U S of A goverment agency.

I have noticed you post about this issues for quite sometimes. Tuk - Tuk and motorbike taxi all have its purpose. If short distance in the Soi then I don't wouldn't think twice of using motorbike and tuk - tuk as mean of transport.

Taxi might be cheap for the tourist and expat alike especially those so called goverment/embassies worker with the expatriate monthly wage. Not everyone one have a privilege to use the air conditions taxi every time they are out and about. Beside that I think is good as it is generate in come for many. I know time to time we hear think not nice about tuk -tuk driver but it also happened to taxi driver too.

Edited: 1:33 am, August 19, 2015
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Tuk tuk safety

in these days of extreme safety I guess I can see what they might mean, Tuk tuks have no seatbelt etc so in the event of an accident they are not very safe. Kind of the same for motorcycle taxis, generally the passenger doesn't wear a helmet even though the Thai law says you should.

I'm the same as post #2, I wouldn't use a tuk-tuk in Bangkok because really the traffic is just not set up for them and you end up sucking in a lot of fumes. But in other areas that have a lot of tuk tuks (Chiang Mai for example) they are really pretty safe.

5. Re: Tuk tuk safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 20, 2016