We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

We arrived at Bangkok airport yesterday for the start of a 3 month stay. My wife smokes Benson and Hedges cigarettes which are not readily available in Thailand. We decided to take a risk and purchased 6 packs at Heathrow duty free between us on the assumption that we would pay the extra tax on arrival. Unfortunately at Bangkok the only option is to throw away aanything over the limit of one pack each so having paid about £150 for duty free we thought let's just take the risk and go through the green exit. Once into the main airport we were approached by customs and excise and taken to the office. We were fined a total of approximately £575!!!! And that all cigarettes were seized. Its certainly a deterrent and given the average local income is completely out of proportion to the crime. You have been warned!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Always a risk when smuggling any goods into any country, the fines are set to be just what they are a deterrent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,891 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

If you don't like the fine then don't do the crime.

You just took a gamble and lost.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Not sure if I am asking a silly question, but how does internal flights effect duty free?

Just that we are going to Bangkok and may get some Bombay gin, if we don't finish it, can we pack it in suitcase, or if I don't get any going out, can it be purchased at Bangkok airport to take to Phuket. Or is it silly prices at Bangkok Airport?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Yes you can pack any unused booze in your checked in luggage going home bit it will count against your DF allowance back into UK.

If you purchase any in Bangkok airport to take on an internal flight it must be packed in your checked in luggage.

Prices are not particularly cheap in Bangkok airport DF shops. You can buy as cheap in supermarkets and wine/liquor stores in Phuket.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Thanx Arandora, very helpful and I think I will forget the duty free bit, and maybe if we all want a tipple in our room, just buy something in Khao Lak supermarket. Seems the easier option.

Think we will be so busy in Bangkok that it will be a final drink at the bar hotel, then off to bed.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

You won't get Bombay cheap, unfortunately in Khao Lak but Gordon's and Larios and others are very reasonably priced and Schweppes tonic is cheap!

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Gordons will be absolutely fine with a Schweppes.

As there are 4 of us going,it is sometimes just nice to too have a drink in your villa, to unwind and have a chat!

We 4 are all gin or grand marnier drinkers.

Edited: 11:59 am, January 19, 2014
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

Then I would buy Gran Marnier at home and pack in your suitcase.

9. Re: Dont be tempted to bring excess Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 21, 2015