We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Thaïland Visa

9 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Thaïland Visa

Hi everyone! My girlfriend and I are in Thaïland right now. We have our 30 days exemption to stay in Thailand, but we're going to overstay. We know that we can have a 7 days extension by going to an immigration office but it's too expensive and we want to go in Cambodia and then comeback to thailand by ground to get a new 15 days visa(we know that it's not an extension). So, knowing that we arrived on november 29 and leaving on january 2nd, we would like to know:

• What's the best way to get and return from Cambodia and from where?

• How many time do we have to stay in Cambodia? Is it possible to only stay for a day and than comeback? because our goal is not to visit Cambodia, but only go there to not overstay in Thailand.

• Is our plan worth it or should we do something else?

Thank you very much,

Jacob and Stéphanie

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

The best way to Cambodia depends on where you are, which you didn't tell us. From Bangkok you can do an organised visa run on a bus for 2,000 baht or so, everything included.

You don't have to stay in Cambodia, do an organised run and you don't even have to step foot in Cambodia as the agent will take your passport to Cambodian immigration for you!

Edited: 6:01 am, December 02, 2013
Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

Bear in mind each day that you stay in Thailand without visum/exemption will cost you 500 Baht per person. At the time that you leave Thailand, they will check the date on your exemption and charge you for the overstay. Also, if you will be in a situation where police is involved and you are in overstay, you will be in real trouble since you are staying without permission. You can immediately return after leaving Thailand and then you will get a 15 day exemption.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

And, you may get 30 days coming back to Thailand overland, where are your passports from?

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

Around December 16th to 18th we'll probably be in Chiang Rai. Those are the dates that suites us the best for the visa "extension". Knowing that we'll be in Chiang Rai, what are the bests options for us? And just to be sure, how many time do we have to spend in Cambodia ('cause we want to see at least Angkor Wat) to get our 15 days "extension"?

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

Around December 16th to 18th we'll probably be in Chiang Rai. Those are the dates that suites us the best for the visa "extension". Knowing that we'll be in Chiang Rai, what are the bests options for us? And just to be sure, how many time do we have to spend in Cambodia ('cause we want to see at least Angkor Wat) to get our 15 days "extension"?

P.S.: We're Canadian.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

I don't know if you have ever checked a map but Chiang Rai is just about as far from Cambodia as it is possible to get. Like I said, you don't have to spend any time in Cambodia before re-entering Thailand. If you want to see Angkor Wat then you should look at flying from Chiang Rai / Chiang Mai I guess.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

Canadian passport holders now get 30 days visa exemption when arriving in Thailand by land and air, it changed last month.

9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

About the visa of 30 days by land, their's no metion of that on my government website so I'll calculate with a 15 days visa.

About Chiang Rai. We know it's near. Thanks anyway, we'll find a way to go to Cambodia from there.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

You can calculate for 15 days, but they will give you 30 anyway. You can search on here and Thaivisa if you don't believe me, it's a recent change.

Are you saying you know Chiang Rai is close to Cambodia?

9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Thaïland Visa

Chiang Rai's near from Laos. I didn't mean to say near, my english is not that good sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for all the infos.