We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoda booking fee?

1 post
Save Topic
Agoda booking fee?

It seems that I've been charged a 9% booking fee through Agoda for my accommodation in Chiang Mai. Upon searching the Agoda website in the contact us or their send a query drop down menu, there is no avenue to question this extra charge.

Not sure why?

It's only a little bit of money but kinda sneaky!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agoda booking fee?

You can usually see the booking fees and any taxes just before you give your credit card details it is a bit sneaky because a lot of people don't notice the price difference and only realise after they've paid.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
876 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agoda booking fee?

It's a standard 7% hotel tax. I imagine for Americans it's not unusual but for Brits tax is usually included in a price. There's also a 10% booking fee normally too. Yeah a bit sneaky btu par for the course.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agoda booking fee?

Do you mean they added it on after you agreed an amount on your payment?

Got to admit I have never known that with Agoda, I have used them many times and the final amount shown before I hit the pay buttion is all I have ever been charged, no "sneaky" charges.

If they have added a charge you didn't agree to I would dispute the charge with the credit card company and tell them not to pay it then cancel the booking with Agoda explaining what you have done and why.

If however the amount you have been charged on your card is the final amount shown before you hit the pay button I am afraid if you didn't like it that would have been the moment to just not continue with the transaction and use another booking agent.

Edited: 10:59 am, August 19, 2013
4. Re: Agoda booking fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 21, 2014