We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

I am looking for somewhere to stay in Thailand from Sept/Oct 2013 until January 2014 with my children and our small pet dog (due to a delay in our moving plans). I will be homeschooling them so I need somewhere we can feel at home rather than a hotel room. Ideally somewhere where there might be other children they could meet as well, after school work is done:-)?

I understand there are some community villages around? These sound ideal...

Also that Hua Hin area has better weather for that time of year than up closer to the airport which was originally my plan. Having never been to Thailand at all before I really need some good advice please if anyone feels they have relevant suggestions. Thank you so much.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

If I was choosing somewhere to take my children in Thailand for an extended period I would choose either Chiang Mai or Hua Hin.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

Really appreciate your comments. It has lead to lots of further things falling into place. Thanks again. Zoe

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

Hua Hin is very different from Bangkok, but if you are just relaxing taking it easy Hua Hin is relaxed, has the beach, nice town, shopping mall etc.

Finding a small house in Hua Hin should be 'do-able' although Dec / Jan not so easy as so many who own holiday / vacation rooms that in Oct / Nov perhaps early December might be available may not be so easy for January.

Also would be nicer for your dog to have a garden :)

Of course you must check with a proper agent to handle transport of your dog and also check regulations for getting your dog into whichever country is your next destination from Thailand, important to take time to check out those details.

If you look at Hua Hin and decide it suits then on the Hua Hin forum you can get more deatils, I know Hua Hin very well indeed and my sister has a house south of town, we visit a lot and I think it would suit you well. But there are those who are retired there and can give more tips on areas and ideas perhaps who to contact to find a nice small house / bungalow to stay.

As it is nothing like Bangkok you would probably need some tansport but you could get a long-term car rental that would make things easy.

You can fly of course from HKG to both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, for Hua hin it is just a cab /limo ride from Bangkok ( also buses and trains if during your stay you want to go to/from Bangkok )

Hua Hin is very family friendly place stress free :)

Edited: 10:19 am, September 29, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

As above with kids to amuse I think Hua Hin would be my first choice followed by Chiang Mai, without the kids Sukhothai Old Town would be my ideal as I love peace and solitude.

5. Re: Advice/ recommendations for Thailand stay with kids and dog.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, October 01, 2014