We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Ideas ?

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Any Ideas ?

Hi All

Suggestions are welcome to help us fill in the middle 5 nights of our trip this May.

We travel to Ao Nang for 6 nights after one night in Bangkok. After Krabi we have 5 nights to fill before spending our last 5 nights in Hua Hin.

We welcome suggestions although we're not gonna book until the last minute because of possible bad weather. I know we could go to Khao Lak or across to Koh Samui but would welcome ideas for anywhere inbetween the 2 resorts.

We have also thought about a one way rental car however my wife isn't too keen on me driving as we could just get a car and driver to take us where we want to go.

kind regards

Jim

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Ideas ?

Hi

Maybe go up north to Chiangmai and / or Chaingrai. But if you want to stick to the south then I would say koh Samui.

Cheers,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,041 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Ideas ?

Khao Lak or Samui/Phangan/Tao would be ideal. You could split your time between Bang Saphan and Prachuap Khiri Khan before heading to Hua Hin as well

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Ideas ?

Hi

What about a few days in Khao Lak and a few in Khoa Sok National Park?

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Ideas ?

Thanks for your ideas so far.

Sweetpea I think we're gonna save up north for our next trip as we'd like to spend longer in the Chang Mai area.

Regards

Jim

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Ideas ?

Hi Jim, What a shame your wife isn't keen on you driving. We did a reverse drive turning off the highway at Chumphon and driving to Ranong for an overnighter before driving further to Khao Lak for a night then onto Nai Yang on Phuket. It was our favourite drive and we plan to do it again one day but in reverse starting on Phuket and finishing up in HuaHin.

Ranong is very green , there are hot springs there ,great views from the main winding road. Very Thai town, fresh food markets, everything was cheap.

Any chance of changing your wife's mind? CJ

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,041 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Ideas ?

Yes, it's a real shame if you don't drive yourselves - it's just not the same using a driver - it's really ok driving in those areas, it's just once you hit the big cities it might be more of a problem.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Ideas ?

True, Cass i know R will not even try to drive thru Bangkok.

The highways are very well signposted and you don't actually have to drive thru Chumphon unless you want to spend a night there. There is a short cut road that takes you to Chumphon town from the main highway but it was about a 40 minute short cut road..lol. However, the scenery and little villages we passed thru made it a very enjoyable short cut. CJ

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Ideas ?

You could get a car and driver to Chumphon area and then either take the 90 min fast ferry to Koh Tao / Koh Nang Yuan ( gorgeous ) , so very nice places to stay, or, do a couple of nights at Novotel south of Chumphon, or, stay around Bang Saphan / Ban Krut, nice 3 star air-con places with pool and then take the speedboat over to Koh Talu ( not Koh Tao ) for snorkeling etc , or, in fact stay a night on Koh Talu ( can be a but pricey but nice little island ).

You could stay if you haven't done in around Pranburi / Sam Roi Yot area.

Once you are along the coast there is also the train line from Surat Thani through Chumphon / Bang Saphan Ban Krut etc

Edited: 8:22 pm, March 10, 2013
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Ideas ?

Cass and Chucky

I'm all for it. I've driven through LA and NY in the rush hour with no problems and I'm not worried about it. Other half however has seen the statistics and reckons Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world for driving.

She's also worried that foreigners always get the blame if they're involved in an accident. Maybe if I show her these posts it will help eradicate her fear somewhat.

Thanks again

Jim

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,041 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Ideas ?

We've driven with our kids in the car and will drive again on our trip this year - if you have any concerns speak to Cathy and Gary, they do a lot of road trips. Here's the link to their TA page and you can pm them:

tripadvisor.com.au/members-forums/Cathy__26_…