We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware dogs and monkeys

uk
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
beware dogs and monkeys

just back from 8 weeks travelling around in Thailand.

I must mention the stray dogs for anyone who has a problem with them. They are everywhere, mainly (always) in the rural towns, and will almost always get excited if they see a "strange" face...ie european! (mine in particular) and they will bark/approach you etc.

I would imagine that anyone nervous of dogs would have a horrible time in this country, they are especially bad at nightime so please be aware.

Whilst there I also read an article in the Bangkok post about stray dogs KILLING people in a central park in mexico city,including a mother and her baby.

monkeys? avoid them at all costs, my sons friend was attacked simply for carrying a small bottle of water. He was bitten in the hand, 4 stitches and a rabies injection were needed which costs!

It amazes me that the travel guide books make light of both these topics with expressions such as "cheeky,mischievous etc".

they are wild and potentially dangerous - take care.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
381 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

Thats the big negative point while traveling to thailand.

Lots of cats and wild dogs along patong,phuket also

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
2. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

"Whilst there I also read an article in the Bangkok post about stray dogs KILLING people in a central park in mexico city,including a mother and her baby. "

This is in MEXICO, as you said. It could (and has) happen in many other countries. I don't recall it happening in Thailand. People have been killed by their pet dogs in western countries.

Personally, I think you're exaggerating. "Soi" dogs are common but the problem is worse in some places and barely exists in other places. The vast majority are scared of people, but a pack of dogs can be intimidating.

I'd agree that monkeys should be avoided. They are, after all, wild animals with a vicious bite.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

You have to appreciate this is a Buddhist country and views on animals may well differ to that where you are from.

The term 'stray' dog is often used by visitors because people come from countries dogs can only exists if they are kept by humans. In Thailand and many other countries this is simply not the case. Dogs are permitted to live their lives and in many countires of the world you will see them roam freely.

In many countries a dog unless owned by a human is exterminated.

Of course with all creatures including humans there are those who cause problems.

Even as a dog lover I have respect for them and would certainly be wary of dogs as I would any creature. In particular if you are going into an area that they consider their own territory.

Monkeys are 'wild animals' and should be treated as such, all animals have territorial instincts. If you enter into their territory to them you are encroaching on their enviroment.

If yuo do not bother them they won't bother you, unfortuanetly in many tourist areas they have become used to humans having food.

They of course have an instinct to survice, and their reactioons reflect that.

Yes, in many places they have become used to humans giving them their food, though in their natural habitat they don't need this as they take care of themselves.

If you venture to areas where monkys live in the wild they are no more interested in you than having a look, and then they tend to go about their daily lives and have no further interest in humans than that.

Your post does point out that people should be wary of all creatures but should apprciate that a free living dog probably does not appreciate someone going to stroke it or whatever.

Edited: 1:02 am, January 26, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

Fair enough

We have never had any issues with cats or dogs being violent while in thailand they are usually very friendly or just ignore you

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
5. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

ma ba, ling ting tong.

sorry about ur sons friend, that cant be fun going through. I love the gangsters (wild dogs) roaming the streets of Bangkok and all over the country. not even owned people will feed them and throw collars on them and give em names. very rare someone will get bit but sure it can happen. dogs are different here. they vybe with the cats no problems.

monkeys are super curious and want what you have. just have to be aware of your surroundings. these guys are all over Thailand, you can avoid them or take them in. i like the Ang Sila monkeys and seafood markets.

tothailand.com/province/…60see_sammuk.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
263 reviews
6. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

if anyone has a problem with stray dogs, rather than moan about how they are affecting your holiday, perhaps they should consider supporting a worthwhile charity instead:

www.soidog.org/

Doing excellent work to improve the lives of dogs (and cats) in Thailand. These animals are still living there and struggling to survive while holidaymakers are off spending their money elsewhere.

It is advised that travellers should be careful of how they interact with the animals as when they move on, the dogs are left behind may have developed habits that others do not like and the animal will suffer as a result. All unfamiliar animals should be treated with care as it is impossible to know how they will react regardless of dog, monkey, horse, cat etc.

Incidentally I read an article about a car KILLING a driver when they crashed it, perhaps we should all just stay indoors.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
7. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

don,t want to throw a spanner in the works-- but there is often a cull on dogs and cats in thailand mostly by poisoning

they also go around in trucks up north and give cooking pots and so forth to dog owners for their dogs then sell them on for food

http://www.soidog.org/en/spay-neuter-program/

huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/13/dogs-smuggle-s…

8. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:39 am, March 22, 2013
9. Re: beware dogs and monkeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014