We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

Has anybody experience in changing Euro for Dollar in Bangkok?

I hope in Thailand I can get a better rate than in my own country because my bank takes about 8% commission,

I need 1500 dollar cash for a trip to Myanmar.

So I guess that in Thailand they change first Euro to Baht and then Baht to Dollar. The rates in the Thai banks look quite ok.

But what about commission in Thai banks if changing cash?

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

Thai banks don't charge commissions for changing cash.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

Thanks Rubbarabbit

Sothat means I can change 39,5 Baht for 1 Euro and then convert it to Dollar at 30.2 Baht for 1 Dollar.

Would be very favorable compared to Netherlands where it is 1 euro 1.21 dollaq

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

One more question: Does it make any difference to change cash Euro or from ATM?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

And another question

Can you change a relatively large amount of Baht into cash dollar (value $ 1500) directlt at the counter of a bank or do they have to be ordered, like in my bank it takes 4 working days to get 1500 dollar.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

ATMs don't dispense $ only baht, but there are charges - whatever your own bank charges you plus a local charge of 150 baht. Changing cash over the counter doesn't cost anything. As for getting 1500$ I think that depends on what any particular bank has in stock at any particular time.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

Allright.And if not I can change smaller amounts in several different banks. So there is no real problem as far as I see. Thanks for advice

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

I just did the math using …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

If you change 1200 euros at Super Rich (always the best rates in town) to baht today right now, with 100 or 500 euro notes you would get 47,400 baht.

Change 47,400 baht to USD you get $1557 if you take mainly $50 notes. That's a rate of $1.2975 to the euro. Actually pretty sensational if you consider the XE mid-market rate right now is $1.30534 and you almost never can get that rate trading banknotes.

Your mileage may vary. Exchange rates are constantly fluctuating.

Super Rich does a high volume in USD and you don't need to order ahead. They're on Ratchadamri not far from Chitlom BTS station. Some other banks and exchange kiosks may not even trade THB to USD for you. They always will at the airport but the rates are comparatively poor.

Edited: 10:27 am, January 09, 2013
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

You did a great job Bill2P.. Thanks a lot.

So it appears profitable not to change in Holland but in Bangkok.

I will contact Super Rich before travelling to Bangkok . I suppose that their contact info is on the web.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

You can try to contact them (I'm not sure why you need to) but don't be surprised if they don't answer.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Exchange question Euro-Dollar

To be sure that they can provide $ 1500 directly over the counter. Or is it for sertain that that will not a problem?