We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to take money in thailand

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
best way to take money in thailand

im going to thailand next weds and was wondering whats the best way to take money?change it up here?there,travelers chequers?

any advise would be usefull

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to take money in thailand

Only you can decide which method/s will suit you best. Many people take a combination of cash, tc's and credit card. Other take cash and a cc as an emergency backup. In my experience, I have received better rates by changing money once I've arrived in Thailand.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Cheers.

Edited: 4:48 pm, October 09, 2012
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to take money in thailand

This question has been asked so many times here on TA and as FP says everyone has a preferred method. My preference is travellers cheques, some cash and a credit card - I'm not a fan of the cash passports/cards as they have a lot of extra fees. Agree that you get better rates once in Thailand.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to take money in thailand

Hi

As Cass and Prince says lots of info on here already. So just want to add our own methods we always take cash ( change as needed the rest remain in hotel safe) travel cheques and credit cards as back up.

My husband and I divided our cash ( when travel to and from destinations) put little in wallet and the rest in hidden compartment in his and my bag. I look after all documentations and travel cheque but he got to keep serials number of travel cheque incase lost or stollen can be report and replaced.

If using card withdrew from ATM it will cost you 150baht per transaction + your bank fees and charges. For travel cheque changing it will cost you the govt fee of 33baht per cheque and as I've mentions above if lost or stollen can be replaces with no time. Again we just change as needed and the rest in the safe. You will need passport to change travel cheque.

But again every one have theirs own way of do things. Just keep in mind make sure you notify your bank before leaving the country if you're planing to use your card oversea.

Good luck

4. Re: best way to take money in thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 15, 2013