We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to carry to Thailand

Which Thailand hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Currency to carry to Thailand

Hi,

I will travelling to Thailand soon and confused about currency to carry to Thailand. Shall I carry Thai currency directly from India or do currency exchange in Thailand only ?

Another option is to carry USD from India and covert over there. I will be taking OnArrival Visa so must have Thai currency also in pocket?

Please advise ?

Thanks

Ratnesh

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

Definitely exchange in Thailand, you will always get a better rate of exchange and don't bother changing from India to USD to Thai, that way you are paying double fees.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

Hi,

In most all cases you do get better rates here in Thailand than outside.. There are a few exceptions-- the SGD being a good example, but for most it's better to do here and not oversees.

As to the question of bringing USD's over INR's.. I'd say that IF you can get USD's but without incurring an additional cost-- be that exchange fees/commissions/spread from exchanging your INRs to USD's in India, the that might be a little better as the USD, like the EUR and GBP is one of the most common currencies traded here, and as such the buy-versus-sell spreads for it tend to be tight. It's also one of a few currencies that offers rates that are slightly better if you happen to have larger denominated notes over smaller denominated ones.

As to your question of "I will be taking OnArrival Visa so must have Thai currency also in pocket?"

The actual wording of this statue doesn't technically define what specific form it must be in-- be that cash, travelers checks or the like.. it only states the amount that must be presented upon demand.. However, one can reasonably interpret that IF asked to show it, that there's some assumption it would need to be in a form that can be 'proven' to to the Immigration officer, such as in hard cash currency form or properly endorsed traveler's checks.

Travel Safe,

Bangalore...
1 post
3. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

I am travelling to thailand in march 2nd week. I am planning to take around 25000k . Kindly advise should I carry USD, or thai bhats from India or should I get converted in Thailand. Please advice

Rafiya.....

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
4. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

I think your question is answered In the replies given above.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

Rafi may need the abridged version if his English isn't up to scratch.

Rafi, bring US$ and you will be ok.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

I'm travelling from Australia, should I exchange here into US Dollars or take Aussie Dollars or travellers cheques. Appreciate your help!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

Molloy 34 - in your case always take Australian Dollars otherwise you are paying twice, first to change into US and then into Baht. I always take a mixture of cash (Aus $), Travellers Cheques (Aus $) and credit card (just in case). You can buy TC's at Australia Post Office for 0% commission and you can even change any leftovers back into cash for 0% commission, as long as you keep your receipt.

Edited: 6:29 am, May 02, 2012
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
194 reviews
8. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

Take Australian dollars as they are easy to change, you don't need to loose out on commission charges changing to US$ first.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

There are no problems changing NZ dollars i would assume?? planning on taking $100 to change at the airport (about 2500baht) to get he through the first day then i will use the ATM from then on.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Currency to carry to Thailand

NZ dollars are fine also.