We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Hello everyone! I am planning a nearly 4 week honeymoon trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. This is my first to the region so I would very much appreciate if you could check my below itinerary and give me your advise:

1-Arrival to Bangkok. 4 nights.

2-Flight to Shukothai and bus to Chiang Mai. 3 nights.

3-Night train to Bangkok and flight to Hanoi. 3 nights.

4-Train to Hoi An. 2 nights

5-Train to Ho Chi Minh. 1 night

6-Bus to Siem Reap. 2 nights.

7-Bus to Bangkok and flight to southern beaches. 6 nights.

Any suggestions will be very welcome!!! Thanks a lot

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

do you need a visa for thailand from ypour country ? if so you are proposing to enter thailand twice which may incur extra fees.

This aside -

Id consider entering thailand only once- is there any particular reason why youre proposing trip in this order ( is there echeaper flights or ???)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Hi noosa_blue! Thanks for you reply. I am Argentinian so I do not need viso to go to Thailand.

The only reason to organize the trip that way is that I need to start and end the trip at the same city (Bangkok), to save in the flight tickets. But the order is not definitive yet. Could you advise an alternative itinerary? Thanks a lot

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

If you need to BKK at both beginning and end of trip then what you have plotted makes sense

Train doesnt go to hoi an ( it goes to to danang about 30 kilometres or so away) still doable, but be aware youll be hiring a car to get to hoi an or using taxi or bus

Personally Id fly from danang when you finish up at hoi an - youll save a lot of time- and I think one train leg will be enough from what Ive been told ( another TAer may hop on and contribute to this)

Bus from HCMC to seim reap? again so much to see in siem reap Id prefer to fly in and have more time in SR - I spent 5 days there and could have spent much longer- loved the place

dont mean to criticise as we are all different and are after different experiences - hopefully others will hop on as well and let you know other possibilities.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

should read Id fly from danang to HCMC once youve finished with hoi an

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Just a thought if you can afford to, it might be better to fly, otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time sitting on buses/trains. Although you would get to see a lot that way too. I spent 5 days in Siem Reap seeing the temples etc took up a minimum of two days just for the main Angkor Wat temples and it depends on what else you do....etc, 2 nights might not be enough?

Edited: 4:11 am, January 12, 2011
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Hi noosa_blue. Thanks again for your reply. I see what you mean about flying to HCMC. I thought the flight would be more expensive but Vietnam Airlines has a USD25 fee that's actually great!

It is worth visiting HCMC right?

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

HCMC has lots to offer ( plus good range of day tours outside HCMC)

Flying is relatively cheap in vietnam, and affordable for most and allows you to get to next stop quickly. I wouldnt say that bus or train travel is super comfortable or quick in vietnam therefore I dont necessarily recommend it if time is an issue for the traveller ( although it allows you to see the countryside and experience the country as well. One leg of train will suffice Im sure !!!!! Make sure you take snacks on train in case you dont like whats on offer.( mind you I always travel with snacks in any country ---just in case)

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Noosa-blue, I just noticed your posts. Do you know a cheap way to travel between Siem Reap and Bangkok? I looked at Thai Airlines or Bangkok airlines and return flights at the end of April are over £200.00 return. Thank you anticipately.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

a great day and fantastic experiance is an early boat from seam reap to battambang, the sights you see will stay with you forever, then a bus to the border then onto bangkok. a long day, but worth it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

I think your itinerary looks excellent.

Very well planned.