We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Announced today AND effective today.

Plastic and foam banned from all national parks in Thailand from 8 June 2018.

My guess is Single Use Plastics (SUP) meaning purchased water in bottles, plastic bags, straws and snack food in plastic packs. I'd guess the foam actually means Styrofoam; rather than shaving foam.

Thailand sometimes moves incredibly quickly. Would guess this is a direct result of the last week's dead whale( found to have eaten 8kg of plastic bags then starving to death).

thaitravelblogs.com/2018/…

Finally some good news for the international campaign to beat plastic pollution in Thailand. The Department of National Parks announced on their Facebook page today that they are banning the use of plastic and foam in all national parks from Friday 8th June 2018. The ban includes marine parks and forest parks across Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Forgive my head being thrown back and rolling eyes.......

In fact, Thailand has some strong laws and rules on many things, so this is no different. The issue Thailand has is that there’s, near enough, zero enforcement of these laws.

As a policeman, when you’re earning 8000 baht a month, what’s the incentive to get out of the air conditioned office and go and do some policing? Nothing at all.

In any case, Thais live by styrofoam packs for food and straws for drinks, so the whole of society ain’t going to change at all.

If you buy a single item at a 7/11, you always get offered a plastic bag to put it in!

Nope, nothing will change.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Im afraid I agree with PBD.

Smoking on beaches is loosely and arbitrarily enforced whilst a blind eye is turned to raw sewage being pumped into the sea and to drunk drivers.

Its all about the optics unfortunately (and more so the tea money)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Agree with 1 & 2.

Thais probably use more plastic bags per capita than any other nationality. Most of the population buy their daily food intake from outlets dispensing it in plastic bags.

At least they are talking about the problem, but enforcement is totally different.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,374 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Sad that it won’t be enforced as it’s a excellent iniative

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8

Foam has been banned in national parks for years already. I just got back from Umphang Wildlife Sanctuary (they have the same bans as national parks). Park ranger bought a group's lunch out, it was served inside, you guessed it, foam boxes. Not 10 metres from the NO FOAM sign.

Reply to: Plastic and foam banned in all Thai National Parks JUNE 8
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted