We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options from Pokhara to Marpha

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Options from Pokhara to Marpha

Hi could anyone advise me on travel options from Pokhara to Marpha . I know there is no direct bus but would it be possible to hire taxi or jeep and if so what would aprox. cost be ?

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

When do you want drive over there and group size? It's difficult in Monsoon and depends on group size because several places could be landslide where you can not drive continue to the destination. In this case you have to walk partly then catch bus/jeep after the broken road/landslide. And car is no possible to drive after Beni. Supposed there is no landslide then you drive Beni to Marpha changing at once at Ghasa with public bus/jeep is $ 15 and private $150 and 50% less From Pokhara to Beni than cost of Beni to Marpha.

Guide

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

A taxi won't be able to take you to Marpha because the road is not paved. A jeep or 4WD is the only option for you but that is far expensive. When I asked my agent once about it he was quoted about NRS 65000 / about US$ 750 [current exchange rate] from vehicle rentals, that is a lot.

There is no direct bus but can be reached by changing the vehicle once. I mean you can drive Pokhara to Beni and stay there for a night. From Beni there are direct bus services [I think only two direct bus in a day] to Jomsom. So, catch a bus and drive to Marpha. That will be a lot cheaper than private jeep.

As said on previous post, if you are traveling in monsoon season then you need to be aware of landslides. During monsoon the road can be blocked in many places and you might need to cross landslides manually and catch the bus from another stop. If you are traveling during main season then you generally won't need to experience these difficulties, you might be able to drive Pokhara - Marpha or return by changing a vehicle only one time in Beni. If you hire private Jeep then there is no need to worry about changing it.

Good Luck!

Paris, France
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

You will find jeep every place. You can go with Jeep.

Jeem

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

Hello Jubob66,

I went to Muktinath last year, the way was pretty easy. If you start earlier, then you can reach to Marha by only 1 day. Go to Baglung bus park, which takes 10 minutes from Fewa Lake [Pokhara]. You can reserve a taxi till Beni, it will cost apprx 1500-1600 nrp. [2 hours 30 minutes maximum].

Then from Beni you can try local small buses, they will take you to Ghasa, approximate cost 300 nrp [time 2 hours], from Ghasa you will find buses after every 2 hours, which will drop you to Marpha [300 nrp, 1 hour 30 minutes maximum].

If its possible then ask someone on Beni, you may also hire a jeep from Beni to Marpha. I can't give you any idea about the cost, sorry.

Best of luck.

manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

Thank you for all your answers . I now have understand much better my options .

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

I met just met someone who returned from Annapurna 4 days ago, and they went by bus all the way to Jomson from Pokhara and then hiked east from there. I am heading that way also, bus to Jomson but it is raining everyday in Jomson now but i don't know to what extent. It could be only a few hours a day only. I dont know how to find out?

nepal
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

as above, there are buses and jeeps, but during monsoon (now til september) there are often landslides on the road. another option is to fly from Pokhara to Jomsom, then walk (or catch jeep) down to Marpha which is not far from Jomsom. flights can also be cancelled sometimes due to weather.

8. Re: Options from Pokhara to Marpha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pokhara