We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

Which Pokhara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nazko
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

Hi,

We are going to be in Nepal in March, and are looking at two smaller treks. One is a 2 day mini trek to Ghachok (out of Phokhara). The other is to treck to Chitwan from Hugdi (half way between KMD and Pokhara). I can't find any real specific information on them.

Has anyone done these, and have any comments/advise to share? We are two women, and we're not necessairly thinking of getting guides/porters unless advisabel.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

The Chepang Hill trek starts at Hugdi and finishes near Chitwan so google will return some details.

scoodly

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

I plan to take a short trek start april ande found:

bbc.com/travel/slideshow/20120113-nepals-roc…

Have a nice trip

Boulder, Colorado...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

Dan,

Hey there, I was wondering how your trip went and if you ended up doing the Ghachok Trek? I am looking to do this same route from Pokhara and wanted to know how it was for you? If you have any info on it start/path/guides/places to stay/worthwhile trek, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Austin, Texas...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

Hello fellow trekkers! We just got back from a small trek from Hyangji to Ghachok. We did the hike in the beginning of June, and the weather was perfect despite a little bit of rain. From Hyangji we hiked 2 hours to the village town of Lachok, the beginning starts following a concrete path which then leads to a more scenic route. From Lachok you take a short 15-30 minute trek to Ghachok. Ghachok was a beautiful place with rice fields and a view looking down into the valley where they have a feeding pit for vultures. We enjoyed the trek but ended up having a bad experience with a guesthouse named "Prakriti Home Stay". When we first arrived to the Ghachok, we passed a police station at the very beginning of town and asked where we can find a guesthouse. They pointed us to take the path behind the police station and up the hill. We were told it was the only guesthouse in the village (Little did we know at the time that they were tied to the guesthouse we were being directed to, and that the path we were on had a guesthouse just up ahead) Slowly trekking up a hill, we saw small path to our left which led to a small building with a blue sign that said "Prakriti Home Stay". The guesthouse owner went by the name of Robbie. A short older man, that was a politician in town with connections to the police department. Travelers beware-- I would NOT recommend anyone to stay here because we got cheated and bullied into paying 2,000 rupees for one night! Keep in mind the going rate for guesthouses on the Annapurna circuit is around 300-400 rupees. When we first arrived and asked for a room and how much, he kept avoiding the questions by answering with questions such as "Are you still going to school" "Where are you from?" He takes us to a room which seemed to be the storage space of a bedroom. You had to walk through a family's room which had a little door that led to two beds in a dark room with a small barred window. Repeatedly, as awkward as it got we kept asking "how much is this room?" He kept avoiding the question. Feeling as if we had no choice at the time, we decided to trust that though he was not welcoming, that it would all work out. The stay was very uncomfortable, there was no screen or glass in front of the window just bars, so in the evenings we found ourselves to be a food buffet to mosquitoes. It was difficult to use the restroom in the evening because there was a family with a small baby living in the room that we had to walk through to get out. There was also no lock to the room, so we could not leave without taking our stuff. The doors to the bathroom stays slightly open, and since there was always people around, you are not able to comfortably use the toilet nor take a shower. In summary, if you plan on staying in Ghachok, DO NOT stay at Prakriti Guesthouse, keep walking past the police station in which you past on your left and there is another guesthouse there. Or walk 15 minutes to the next village of Lachok where you will find some there as well. I keep replaying this situation in my head of how I could have done it different. Should have known to walk away with no clear agreement on the price, but just to be on the safe side, I would steer clear of his establishment.

Edited: 10:00 am, June 08, 2014
5. Re: trek: Ghachok and Hugdi/Chitwah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Pokhara