We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Is we are just walking around Kathmandu/Lalipur/Bhaktpur as obvious tourists is there a lot of unwanted attention from touts/peddlars/people wanting to act as your guide that won't take no as an answer and will follow you round and continue to pester you?

High Venture Plus
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Helicopter Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours
Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
Climbing Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Tours
Travel Maker South Asia
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Backpacker Treks and Expedition
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Last year I found that a one-handed wave of 'No' worked the best. Engaging in any sort of conversation leaves you open for follow-up hassling.

'Chaina' (like China, but with a long i) - not necessary/don't need.

'Janos' (jar-noss) is like 'go away' - not polite but suitable for impolite touts.

A good response to 'Hello friend...' is 'Timi mero saathi hoina!' - 'You are not my friend!' With a smile, this got a few laughs...

Edited: 6:06 am, June 26, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

Yes, but they are not as annoying as the other places in the world I have visited. They will most likely stop bothering you if you give them an assertive NO.

13. Re: Does one get hassled much by touts/guides etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 29, 2015
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor