We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight over Mt Everest

los angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
flight over Mt Everest

Has anyone recently experienced the flight over Mt Everest? I heard it is very dangerous and is not safe at all. I would like to experience this flight but don't know what to do? please suggest your ideas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Nothing flies OVER Everest, but there are Everest view flights.

They are probably safer than say, Lukla flights, as they don't land in the mountains...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Why would it be dangerous? They only fly in good weather so people can see, don't land, don't fly all that close to the mountains.

It's a great way to see the magnificent Himalayan mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Himalayan
Himalayan
Kathmandu, Nepal
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight over Mt Everest

where or how did you hear it is dangerous

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
323 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Well,until now it's quite safe. The history of Mountain Flights in Nepal is very clear. So,no need to afraid.

Good luck!

Apex Nepal Treks

Mentioned in this post
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

This is simply a mountain flight that takes several people daily to this route. I am not sure why you are calling in dangerous, it's fine and a nice flight. Just try it!

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
los angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Thank you for your post. I am looking for one and half a day itinerary for the period of time I will be in Kathmandu, any suggestions? I would like to see bhaktapur as well.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Well if you think the flight is dangerous...take a drive early in the morning for sunrise from Nagarkot and on the way back to kathmandu...visit bhaktapur Durbar square...remember what you doing is also an adventure and it always involves an element of risk...there's been couple of accidents on this highway...you get to choose what to do or just sit back and enjoy the beach!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
849 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight over Mt Everest

We did ours with Bhudda Air. It's basically a twin engine Beachcraft type plane You take off in the early morning and go parallel to the mountain range. On the outward leg the folks on the left hand side get the view and on the return the right side gets the view. Also each person is allowed a visit to the cockpit for a more panoramic view. The day we did it ( Late October) the weather was clear and we had a great view. The flight was smooth and we thought it was worth it. Our best airial view of Everest was a couple of years later on a commercial flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Also great ground views on the land trip back to Kathmandu.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight over Mt Everest

Hello Traveler, I had been flying many times in mountain region as well as Mount Everest Experience flight. Regarding about Everest flight, they operate bigger plane than mountain area plane which are safety to fly in Nepal . If you want to see Everest do it. Have a nice time.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: flight over Mt Everest

no who said that its dangerous.it is really safe