We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guangzhou, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

Hey guys,

Is it safe for girl to travel alone to Kathmandu alone? Now I'm im India (Goa, Delhi) and when I'm alone on the street, it's not very safe, mostly.. Is Nepal the same?

Can you recommend some good agencies to book a tour in Kathmandu?

Can I rent a bike in Kathmandu?

Can I pay inside Nepal with Indian rupees?

Thanks

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

Hi Marina U

Yes, it is safe in Kathmandu for female, solo travellers. But you - ofcourse - should be proper dressed and not walk the streets alone at night, flash a lot of cash or expenssive jevellery or digital cameraes. If you walk home to your hotel late evening, it is a good strategy to walk like you fear nothing and are fully able to handle any situation. If you walk like you are nervous or scared, you will look like an easy target and make your self more vulnerable.

(I have my mobile with be and have my hotels phone number coded as a quick call number, so if I feel threatend, I can easily call them...I have never needed it, but it gives a good feeling).

Are you thinking about city sight seing tours or trekking? The agency I normally use is a trekkiing agency, but they arrange sight seing for their clients too. If you wnat more info about them, you are welcome to PM me. I just don't write their name or contact information here in the forum, since it can be mistaken for advertizing.

Yes, you can probably rent a bike, but the trafic is caotic and traficrules are not necessarily respected. So be careful...!

You can use Indian Rupees, but the correct curency is Nepali Rupee. You will get better prices if you pay in the local currency. There are may exchange shops everywhere, but be aware that larger denominations (500 and 1000's are not accepted due to lots of fake ones in circulation).

Enjoy...

Lisbeth

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

Indian rupees works as a parallel currency , at a fixed rate ( 1.6 to 1 ) , works all the way down to tea houses on the trail etc. A few times it can be practical when bargaining prices , but on the other hand carrying a lot of 100 rupee notes isn't , from the already mentioned issue with Rs 500 & 1000 notes.

The important point once you leave is exchanging in time : Indian rupees are tricky to exchange and at poor rates in most countries , Nepali rupees are impossible once you've left India.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

Nepal is safer than India; a lot safer. But as you are a single lady traveling alone it's not good idea to be in the streets alone late night. Touts are always there in the airport to sell you hotels, packages or even ask for big tip for helping you to lift the bag. If you are traveling only around cities then I think you will be fine, but if you are going to the mountains for trekking then it's not good idea to be alone. Either find a companion or hire a staff.

Some information here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134555/Nepal…

Most regular members in the forum have their own recommended agencies. You can ask them or our oldest destination expert of the Nepal Forum; Alanyeti got list of recommended travel agencies so you can probably message him.

Yeah, you can rent bikes in Kathmandu. Not sure if you are talking about motorbike or mountain bike but both are available here. Be aware about the traffic as mentioned by Lisbeth.

Indian rupees are widely accepted in Nepal but as mentioned on previous post INR RS 500 and 1000 notes are illegal to use in Nepal. People will find it hard to accept these currencies.

4. Re: alone in kathmandu | indian rupees | travel agencies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 16, 2015