We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
2 posts
Save Topic
Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

So i am planning to do the Everest Base Camp trek this April-May. From what i have gathered, it's a 14-18 day trek and is rated medium on the difficulty level.

I am fairly athletic. Completed the half marathon this year. And would love to do this alone (no guides). I haven't researched a lot, and so am sorry if i sound like a complete noob. Nevertheless, I would love everybody's advise on this. My questions are :

How should i go about this? What all is absolutely required? Are there any things in particular one needs to take into consideration before going on with his/her plans? What all equipments are absolutely necessary? What is the total estimated cost involving the whole trek? Any legal issues? (I am an Indian national, so don't believe there would be any problem in getting in Nepal).

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

If this is your first trekking experience, I think it is a little presumptuous to go alone. Even experienced trekkers should never trek alone...one wrong turn, an accident the wrong place, AMS etc. and you are in deep trouble.

Anyway you can start to read here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-s208/Nepal:We…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134552/Nepal…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c176094/Nepal…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

Good advice already posted by Lisbeth

As you appear to be in the initial stages of planning your trek, you might find my own EBC Trek Report useful reading, I have included a daily video diary as well as reviewed the lodges where I stayed + a few other useful bits and pieces like my kit list and links to downloadable trekking maps.

Anyway – If you would like to take a look it can be found in the travelogue in the link in my signature

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

Hello,

Trekking to Everest Base Camp, alone is absolutely doable. There is no need of guide if you prefer to travel on your own. But as mentioned on previous posts it's always good to travel with a companion or a staff. Accidents happens without telling anyone but it's better to be in safe side.

You wouldn't have problems to enter Nepal though you will need two permits to trek in Everest. One is Everest National Park entry permit and another one is Trekkers Information Management System [TIMS] card. Both are obtainable in Kathmandu or on the trek. If you think to use a guide or a porter through an agency then they will also take care of your permits.

It is hard to presume the cost without knowing the details. In General, about US$ 25 per day for your meals and accommodation, about US$ 25 for a guide, about US$ 15 - 16 for a porter. If you go through an agency then the TIMS card will cost you US$ 3 and if you buy the TIMS card on your own it will cost you US$ 6. Everest National Park entry permit will cost you NPR 1500, that is about US$ 16-17 as per the current exchange rate. This permit is same for trekkers traveling with a company and without a company.

Here is an old map for Everest: …umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Mentioned in this post
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Further questions :

1. I have done 3-4 treks which have been rated medium on the difficulty level. How would you rate EBC?

2. I have a fear of heights (but i love mountains!). How hard does that make it for me?

3. It seems like a general opinion that i should be going with guides. If i do plan to have guides, how does that work? Do i hire guides in advance or can i do that in Nepal, after i reach there?

4. How long does it take to acclimatize to the conditions there? Any special tips that would be helpful regarding acclimatization?

P.S : I have been to Nepal a number of times. Kathmandu, Butwal, Pokhra. But never as far or close to Everest. The photos in your blog brought back childhood memories. Thank you Rob!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

Hi again,

01, May be it's because I am from Nepal or probably I have some trekking experiences but I find EBC pretty fine. It's not much adventurous everyday though some days can be difficult too. Most of the days are OK and is moderate level. Some days are difficult due to high altitude, difficult routes etc. For a trekker who did few mid-range treks already it shouldn't be really difficult.

02, Very hard to explain, Everest Base Camp Trek has couple of places of interest which are higher than 5,000 meters. Hike to Kalapatthar, hike to Everest Base Camp etc. are amazing and important part of the journey that you shouldn't miss.

03, You can hire guides once you arrive in Nepal. Agents are happy to provide services for walk in customers.

04, Many people take two acclimatization days; one in Namche Bazaar and one either in Pheriche or in Dingboche. That is standard plan for many trekkers. You can travel with few extra days so that you can use those days if you need extra rest or want to stay more nights in certain places.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

You could find other independent trekkers to trek with. As above you can trek solo, but if anything goes wrong (illness, injury, AMS etc), you will depend on others for help.

Do make SURE that you thoroughly understand about acclimatisation, rates of ascent, AMS and be aware of the fact that AMS does not fully manifest until several hours after too high a point has been passed - this is why people often get sick at night, when descent and getting help is much more difficult. It also explains why people can feel "OK" and then go higher than they should - they do not take account of the time lags with AMS. With proper preparation (knowledge), AMS is almost completely avoidable. Young fit people often get sick because they are too competitive, too keen.

Also a steady rate of ascent (day to day) helps reduce the risk of respiratory infections (colds etc) - more treks get ruined due to these than AMS - if you get a bad cold higher up, it is very difficult to get better without descending. I spent 5 nights at Gokyo and then 1 night at Tagnag in May 2008, and had quite a bad chest infection - it did not clear at all, despite taking some rest days, and also trekking (and it was not cold at night then). Only by coming down did it clear - many others have found the same thing.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

No Problem – Pleased to be of help

With regard to your additional questions and Speaking as a trekker, I think the most important thing to take into account when trekking EBC is adequate acclimatisation – More info on this can be found on this link

www.ismm.org/index.php/prevention.html…

So

1) Most trekkers with an average level of fitness that don’t have issues with acclimatisation and don’t try to rush the trek don’t have any major issues

2) The only time I think you might encounter problems is when crossing the long suspension bridges

3) It is entirely up you yours elf whether you hire a guide, if you don’t wish to them you can also consider finding a trek mate – the main issues is NOT to trek alone as small problems can soon become big ones and if you have no back-up you can soon get into serious trouble- Guides can be found reasonably quickly once you arrive in Nepal – My own advice is When hiring out “Staff” the secret of a successful trek is to set the ground rules Before setting off and these rules should include

1) Always interview your “Staff” Before you go trekking with them, Preferably get them to give you a walking tour around Kathmandu, Then they are away from the office, will be able to talk freely and you will be in a better position to judge their ability to communicate, character and if you are going to be able to get on well enough with them on your trek.

2)Ask if he has already trekked the route you are going on and how many times

3) Tell them that You Always retain the final say where you will stay and where and when you will eat.

Personally I am Happy to look at places recommended by my “Staff” (As I am aware that some places look after Nepali’s a lot better than others, better accommodation as well as better / cheaper food for them + if they get a little kick-back then as long as I am happy with the standard as well as the price that I am paying this doesn’t bother me)

4) I also mention to them that as long as I am happy with their services then they will get a Good Tip – I think this clears the air and gives your “Staff” that extra incentive to ensure that you are well looked after.

5) The agent that I use provides all his “Staff” with a mobile phone – I also think this is an excellent idea so that if there is a problem then (providing you have a phone Signal) these can be Quickly sorted out.

6) Before I start a trek is to have a rough schedule, then I know approximately how many days I will be trekking for, to this I usually add one buffer day, so If all goes according to plan I am usually back from my trek one day ahead, With this the agent that is use I can claim one days fees back, but in reality, as I have always been happy with my treks, I have never done this, but have ensured that my “Staff” are still paid the extra day.

Another system that the agent I use has is that if you want to extend your trek, if it takes longer than originally anticipated or if for what ever reason you are delayed then you can pay your “Staff” direct. This works well for everyone as the “Staff” in actual fact get more money as there is no agents commission deducted and as the agent has already had his cut he is (Or should be) happy as well.

7) It is also worth making 100% sure that your “Staff” are insured and that the agent is making sure that their clothing is up to the standard for the area / season you are trekking in.

It may sound like a bit of a list – But personally I think it is well worth that little extra effort at the beginning of your trek to help minimise potential unforeseen problems later :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

hey Seeker ,

i am planning to take a trip to the everest base camp at the same time as you and plan to travel indivisually without and porters or guide as all the research that i have done on the region states that they are not required at all . I am fit and have little experience in trekking , having trekked most of the himachal valleys .

i am planning to start around the 20th of April . Have a friend in KTM who owns a hotel and can help in getting on the arrangements done . I plan to fly in to Lukla and then walk out of Jiri coz they say that side of the valley is too good to miss . i am from delhi and currently based in Jaipur .

lemmi know if you wanna plan this together .

Peace and Smiles .

Deepanker_khosla@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Jaipur
Jaipur
Jaipur District, India
Mumbai, India
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

Hey Deepanker,

I am planning to take the same route. Flight to Lukla in the beginning and end the trek at Jiri.

Can you let me know your itienary for the same?

I am planning to do the trek in June 2nd week.

Cheers!

10. Re: Any advise regarding Everest Base Camp trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 04, 2015