We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

Hi all

I have a short trip planned to india in January 2014 and planned to fly from Delhi to Kathmandu and then on to Bharatpur before taking a jeep to Chitwan for 3 days.

My father is from india and seems concerned about me flying from Delhi to Kathmandu at this time of year because weather conditions can become dangerous.

I am inclined to take his advice and travel overland but it will set me back a day. Has anyone flown at this time of year? Should I be cautious?

Many thanks

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

Seriously?? More than 10 flights take place between del - ktm everyday with minimum issues. The only hiccup you may face is the early morning fog at delhi.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

Hello,

If you are thinking about morning flights then it can be delayed but generally international flights have very little chances of cancellations. The flights in the morning are delayed quite often as fog will cover around the valley.

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

its the internal flights in nepal you should be concerned about, not from India

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

Thanks very much guys. I'm not normally a worrier its just that my father is a traveller himself and doesn't seem happy about me going to Nepal for some reason. I did check Buddha Air who i was planning on flying with and they did have problems last year (see below) so thought It would probably be best to go overland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19754351

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

The airstrips in the hills are obviously relatively high-risk (there used to be a sign in Kathmandu Domestic Airport saying something along the lines of 'Do not be angry if we do not fly when it is cloudy: some of our clouds have rocky lumps in them')

Bharatpur is in the lowlands, and the flight would take you only over the lower foothills

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

The last international flight incident eith fatalities was in 1992 when a PIA flight crashed (Thai Airways also crashed ealrier that year). In contrast, there have been numerous domestic incidents:

www.aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php…

Not trying to persuade you to fly, Pocahontas, but others might appreciate the information particularly in the light of the recent EU blacklisting of Nepali airlines.

scoodly

7. Re: flying to kathmandu from Delhi in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 11, 2014