We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

son is sick in Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
son is sick in Kathmandu

My 23 yr old son has been diagnosed with typhoid fever, after being in Nepal for 4 weeks...3 weeks of trekking to EBC, and 1 week of sightseeing in Kathmandu region. Is in hospital in Kathmandu. Not at Ciwec Clinic, but larger hospital. Is scheduled to return on 29 hour route home in a few days. Antibiotic IV treatment to be finished in two days. Is a person usually okay to travel across continents so soon after treatment for this disease? Are there customs and immigration issues to be addressed if he has been ill in Nepal?

Thanks for advice

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: son is sick in Kathmandu

Sorry to hear about your son and hope that he is OK after his ordeal.

Best advice I can offer about whether he will be fit enough to travel home so soon after his treatment and if there will be customs issues is to go and talk to your doctor – I am sure he will be able to advice you a lot more accurately than us (mainly) unqualified posters on here

Good Luck and please pop up a post and let us all know how your son does

Best Regards

Rob

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: son is sick in Kathmandu

Hi MusicaCanada

It is a question for a doctor to answer.

As far as I know a large percentage of people infected with Typhoid Fever is still carrier of bacterias for several weeks after the antibiotic treatment. And that can not be very healthy for all the people he will be in contact with during a flight back home!?

Does your son to have a travel Insurance that have been covering his Medical expenses during his sickness? Then they should be the ones to arrange his safe trip back home!

3. Re: son is sick in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 11, 2014