We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Kathmandu.

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Kathmandu.

This will be my first time going to Kathmandu. Going on my own but I have a friend over there who will bring me around for treks and he will provide accommodations. Honestly, i'm a bit worried as this will be my first time travelling this way.

Can anyone please advise on how much money (in SGD) should I bring for a 9-days trip to Kathmandu? What should i take note of? What activities can i do over there? Do i apply for visa upon arrival?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Kathmandu.

SitiRaihanah

you did not mention which trek you will be doing - but i can't imagine needing more that US $1000 (or SGD1250 or so).

but no worries - you don't need to carry all that cash - if you have a bank issued VISA/MC Debit or Credit Card you can use those to withdraw money from ATMS as you need. do check with your bank first to see if they have overseas restrictions

you can apply for visa on arrival - fee might be USD $25 -$30

God Luck

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Kathmandu.

Hi! Thank you for the estimations! At least now i have an idea of the amount i might need. I'm not sure which trek i will be doing. My friend said he will be arranging things for me though. He did say we might go to some hill stations and probably the border of nepal n china.. It's all in the planning stages.. It is relatively safe in nepal right?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Kathmandu.

This article might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134555/Nepal…

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Kathmandu.

Hello SitiRaihanah-,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You already got useful replies from other members in the forum.

#Your first post:

The prices depends on many things, carrying as mentioned above should be enough in most cases. There are small hotel available from US$ 20 [hotels] for a single room. Meals in an average restaurant starts from US$ 2/3 per meal. Trekking costs about US$ 60 / 65 per day with a guide and a porter. You will need permits, transports etc.

Other issues are covered well before.

#Your second post:

I am living and working in Nepal; I will be here probably till December. It's quite safe country. Nepal respects tourists in most of the cases so I am sure that you will find it safe as well.

If you are talking about the safety of the trek then they are safe as well. Make sure to have proper travel insurance with helicopter evacuation up to the altitude you are going. That is quite important in case of emergencies.

# Traveling with guides:

I just returned from Annapurna Circuit Trek arranged by a private guide. Thankfully I didn't encounter with any problems. I saw very bad situation in Manang. There was a British couple traveling with a private guide. The lady was badly sick but their guide didn't know how to arrange a evacuation or a rescue. Their guide was totally innocent. He wasn't sure what should he do to rescue the lady. This might be my last trek totally with a private guide, a company seems to be very useful in case of emergencies.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Annapurna
Hotel Annapurna
590 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Hotel Manang
Hotel Manang
442 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
5. Re: First time to Kathmandu.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 25, 2014