We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu contaminated ?

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kathmandu contaminated ?

Hi,

I may live and work 1 year in Kathmandu. But I read that Kathmandu is very contaminated and people have to wear masks. Is this really true ? And is this a problem in all of Kathmandu or is it just in the city centre ?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Yes – Kathmandu does suffer from a lot of air pollution and many people wear masks – But unless you suffer from a reparatory condition, you shouldn’t be too adversely effected

Good Luck and happy Travels

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Hello vigg1a,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Kathmandu is quite polluted so you will find dusty everywhere. I am also in Kathmandu working for an international organization and in general I do not see many people wearing masks. Mainly the over populated towns are more polluted than the rest. Thamel is also one of the polluted city popular among tourists.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,751 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Ok, thanks for answers.

Im just worried about my own health - but people live and work in this city sp I guess its okey.

But I love running and cycling outside - I guess there are good opportunities for this outside city centre.

But is there a long travel distance to good "training air" and nature from the city ?

And do U recomend me to take this job and work and live one year in Kathmandu ?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

You will get used to the pollution in Kathmandu quite quickly. Maybe at first you will feel it in your throat for a couple of days, but your body will get used to this pretty fast. Wearing a mask already helps you for a great deal. Masks are available everywhere and cost less then half a dollar.

Although the air outside the Kathmandu city centre may seem much cleaner, the amount of fine dust is often as high or even higher than in Kathmandu.Not breathing in the diesel fumes from Kathmandu busses and lorries will definitely make you feel a lot better. In the weekend you can enjoy your bicycle in the nature, which is never to far away. Within half an hour from the city centre you can reach e.g. Shivapuri National Park. A great place to discover on the mountainbike.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Hello again vigg1a,

I am also working for an organization and if I do not renew my contract I will work till December. For foreigners the environment is quite different but still people live and work here. I rent a flat little out of the main city so the air is quite nice here.

There are pretty much cycling places around the town. I haven't done cycling myself but have seen other tourists doing it. Places like Dhulikhel, Dakshinkali, Chovar etc. will be good options for cycling.

I can't comment about working in Nepal or not. I am also working here and I am loving it. My case is generally different from other people wishing to work here. I am married with a Nepali lady and she like staying here. I have to go out of Kathmandu or to the field for monitoring projects quite a lot. I am thinking to return France this December but nothing is confirmed yet. Working in Kathmandu is slightly different than in modern countries. The final decision is yours.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

life is an adventure - do it!!!

this forum is filled with people like that - hence you are asking pretty biased crowd here already!

for some ktm is a loathing place because of pollution - for others - it’s a place that grows on you

if you mountain bike, surrounding hills of ktm offers a refuge for weekend warriors imho

plenty of trails to be explored

here’s a taste

…blogspot.com/2012/08/ktm-valley-nagarkot-dh…

even within the valley it depends where you live and work - outskirts are still fine to live in and mostly pollution free

one suggestion might be to look for a gated community that have sprouted up on the outskirts

many wealthy nepali buy these properties in hopes of renting it to foreigner hence are in decent shape for to live in

good luck

AJ

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,835 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

This might be useful reading:

world-weather-travellers-guide.com/air-pollu…

scoodly

8. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 17, 2015
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Don;t worry about the pollution of Kathmandu because not many but some places of the city have good environment let's say a little far from road side. A mask can be very useful to you if you are so much worried about Kathmandu valley

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kathmandu contaminated ?

Thx!

I will do it - leaving in a month