We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
3 posts
Save Topic
Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

Hello, I am 60 yrs old man and have suffered from a few heart problems in the last few years. I was thinking of visiting Kathmandu between 21-25th August to see the temples there as well as those in Patan and Bhaktapur. I am not into hiking or trekking, would just like to walk leisurely around the squares etc. My only concern is whether the roads in Kathmandu are too steep or walkable enough for someone with shortness of breath and heart problems? Thanks in advance.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
398 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

With the exception of Swayambhunath (the so-called "monkey temple"), most of the famous sites are pretty flat. The Durbar Squares, in particular, are very level.

The Kathmandu valley was once the bottom of an ancient lake, so the whole place is pretty flat.

However, "shortness of breath" might be exacerbated by the terrible air pollution in this basin. I've been there only in January, when the air quality is terrible. It might be better shortly after the monsoon ends (October, say), before the toxic stew has months to build up with little rain to clean things up.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

Hello Sen569,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

The previous post gave you reasonable advice. Kathmandu is mostly flat because it was a lake as said on the history. Th walk to Swyambhunath stupa is little steep but it's short cause the temple is situated in the top of a small hill. Other places like Pashupatinath, Bouddhanath, Patan Durbar Square, Bhaktapur Durbar Square and Kathmandu Durbar Square are situated in the flat area. As mentioned on previous post the air pollution in Kathmandu is pretty high so that can cause old people coughing.

Good Luck!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

RhythmD - ah the arrogance of youth - referring to 'old people' in your reply to a mere 60 year old !

The first two posters are absolutely right though - most of the sites you mention are almost completely flat, and for Swayambunath ensure that you are driven to the upper entrance, not the very long flight of steps that are the access for very pious pilgrims. From that top entrance it's at most 5 minutes of uphill up a flight of steps.

4. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 17, 2015
Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

MountainramAdventure, Alanyeti is not the OP. and the OP does not want to hike or trek any hills.

Edited: 10:08 pm, August 14, 2013
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

Jeromego, you better read my comment once again. I have not suggested Alanyeti to trek or hike. I have suggested him to take car or taxi to go around Kathmandu and Nagarkot.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

Ram, it appears that in your flurry of self-promoting posts (PLEASE read the guidelines) you haven't bothered to read the posts. As Jeromego says, I am NOT the original poster who asked the question, I simply replied to Sen569's question with what I hope was useful information, based on a dozen visits to Nepal over the past twenty years.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

##Re: Post no 3

Alan, I guess you are right huh? Littler matured but really not experienced like you people! Growing old and that makes me upset too!

Happy Traveling!

9. Re: Are the walks in Kathmandu city very steep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 17, 2014