We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

What is the rate of 1USD=NPR, Is there any safest money exchange just outside the Airport for better rate. Please name the money exchange on behalf of me. Thank you

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Hi

The headline rate can be seen on the Nepal Rastra Bank website: http://www.nrb.org.np/. This will not be the rate at the money changers though. There are a couple of money changers inside the airport but the rate is not as good as in Thamel. Consider changing enough for the taxi fare to Thamel then change more there - they are open until 7 - 8pm).

There are lots of of money changers in Thamel and they display the rates on boards outside. There is not much difference bit negotiating a better rate is possible particularly if changing a large amount pf money. They are are 'official' and usually safe but other customers can be in there too. Banks might provide a safer environment (and a marginally better rate, in my experience). The Himalayan Bank has an exchange office on Tridevi Marg with a security guard in attendance.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

HI again donaldgomes,

The exchange rate varies between banks and money changers. Currently, the rates are around NRS 95 - 96 for 1 US$. Money changers have notice boards outside to show the rates for most of the currencies and mostly all money changers have equal rates.

There are many money exchangers specially in Thamel.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Hi

You dont have to change your money at airport, you may pay the dollar($5) for taxi to Thamel. No worries you may exchange anywhere your dollar in Thamel and you asked to the owner to get good rate, you may get good rate than written then board. My recommendation is east and west money exchange in Thamel near by kathmandu guest house.

Good luck

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

I see from your profile that you are from Bangladesh – So I expect that you will be able to obtain some Indian Rupees easier (And a a better rate) that US $'s

As long as you get small denomination notes then these are accepted in Kathmandu at a fixed rate of exchange.

I aren't sure if you can exchange Bangladesh Rupees in Nepal, maybe a local poster will come back and tell you – But if you can then it will save you the extra exchange commission

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Thanks for help all of you.Only USD can be carried.

BRGDS

Donald

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

You're welcome and always happy to share the information that we have! You said only USD can be carried and I guess that's from Bangladesh, otherwise major currencies are accepted in Nepal!

Good Luck for your trip!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Hello Rhythm D just on your last post. So Australian dollar is also accepted in Nepal ? Best place to exchange do you recommend Thamel ? or exchange at airport.

Thanks

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Yeah,

There is no problem to exchange Australian Dollar in Nepal. There are lots of money changers in Kathmandu and Pokhara where you can easily exchange AUD to local currency. In Thamel if you ask then money changers will give you little better rate than posted in the notice board. At Airport you will get poor rates than in Thamel.

Good Luck!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

Thanks again for your help.

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please advice me about the Money exchanges outside the Apt

You're always welcome! Enjoy your holiday in Nepal!

Happy traveling!