We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
60 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

I've tried posting on at least 3 occasions my review for a recent experience I had with Actual Adventures based out of Kathmandu. Each time I receive a frantic message from the owner of the company, Kedar, who is none too pleased that I've said something negative about him, begging me to delete the post. Unfortunately, I feel as though my review is important and worth sharing so I do not delete my post... BUT somehow, each time, it disappears. I'm confused how this is happening. Does Trip Advisor allow for company owners to complain and have reviews deleted that they do not agree with? I really hope not.

I will restate what I've posted several times here in the forum for anyone who is researching this company and cares to hear:

My experience with the drivers, guides, and porters from Actual Adventures was a very positive experience. All were incredibly friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. My issue was with the owner, Kedar, over money. Prior to arrival Kedar and I had agreed on a certain price for which I paid a deposit. Upon arrival I was to pay the balance, $880USD. I only had $900 so I gave this to him and he began telling me that I owed him another $100, saying that we had agreed to a price higher than what was documented in my emails. So, I located the email and resent it to him, showing that I was correct and that he owed me $20 in change. Although I asked for this change on several occasions, and even upon departure from Nepal, Kedar never had money with him and always had a way of beating around the bush about paying me back. So needless to say I would not recommend using this company based off of my experience with Kedar.

Anyway, that's my review, but I would appreciate hearing whether or not my reviews being deleted multiple times is an isolated incident or if TA is now allowing this. It seems really strange.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Hi

It's probably worth asking about the rules on the TA Support forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAd…

As I understand it, there is no formal provision for trekking agency reviews - unlike hotels and restaurants - but many posters place reviews on the forum (which is, strictly speaking, a Q&A function). The positive ones seem to remain but negative ones tend not to. This could be because owners contact TA who remove them but it could also be because of the automated reporting system - the owner and 'friends' could trigger a removal.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

I am sorry to hear about your experiences that it's really not good. In another hand it's good to hear that you had great experience with your staffs. It's good that at least you enjoyed your main dream. Regarding the reviews I guess you better contact TripAdvisor or post in the TripAdvisor forum with the complaint.

Here is a long discussion about deleted reviews, probably you will find something there:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k3847184…

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

OK, I think found you this place to help.

Click on "Status of my review" next to How can we help question

Then you probably will get your review on the drop down menu below Status of my review. And click on your deleted review [I think it will be appear; I am unable to be sure because my reviews are not deleted]. Then if you see your deleted review just click and write your problems in details on the comment box below your review.

Wish that will help!

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Info in #3 only applies if you have formally submiited a review. A post in here does not constitute a review. TA does not accept formal reviews for trekking agents.

scoodly

Edited: 9:22 am, May 22, 2013
France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

OK scoodly, I never reviewed any trekking agents. Probably that is the reason.

Thanks for updating!

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
60 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Thanks for the tips, I will try them all. I did receive a message from TA staff the first time I posted my review saying that since my review dealt with a multiple day tour it was being deleted. I tried replying to that message asking why others were allowed to post reviews since the company only deals with multi-day tours, but to no avail. The other two just disappeared without any message or warning. Bizarre and annoying. I'll try the support forum for sure.

And yes, I did enjoy my time in Nepal and do hope to return someday... only with a different company =)

Mentioned in this post
Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
60 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

By the way, I cannot see the deleted reviews on the "status of my reviews" dropdown. Just posted to support forum, so waiting to see what comes of it. Thanks again everyone!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

I had a similar problem when I tried to review the agent that I have used for 20 years and 10 trips to Nepal – I was told that TA did not accept reviews for agents.

So, I pointed out the fact that there are scores of existing reviews already posted on TA, many of them written by one time posters and posted on inappropriate like Day Treks and Day Trips (Ever heard of an EBC Trek or an AC Trek that can be achieved in a day ???)

Alas I didn’t get an answer and all the original reviews still stand

Oh Hum

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Are trekking agency reviews still listed on 'Day Trips': I can't seem to find them.- liinl anybody?

Spme of them were worth reading for the amusement - every agency had a 5 star rating and some of the reviws implied the agency owners or guides were personally responsible for the magnificence of the himalayas, that only the agency concerned could find and use the best lodges and the food in all the other lodges would kill people and their belongings would be stolen. My favourite was the guide who could get you to EBC faster than any other and guarantee no AMS.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Actual Adventures travel company- review keeps being erased!

Yes scoodly – If you type “Nepal Day Trips” into the search bar at the top of the page you will see all the listings are still there.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293890-…

Being a good example of what you speak about all being 5 star. OK, some reviews will probably be genuine, but a lot certainly look suspicious to me.

Oh Hum

Rob