We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sri Lanka
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

I am an Indian national and will drive my own car from Delhi to Kathmandu towards end of May 2013. Which is the best route to take? More specifically, which border gate to take? I have heard Mahendranagar is a convenient option, but is the border open 24x7 (as Sunauli border is)?

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

1st leg - Delhi - Moradabad - Banbasa - Mahendranagar - Night Halt @ Bardiya National Park.

2nd leg - Next day morning - Bardiya - Butwal - Chitwan - Kathmandu (at Butwal you can take a diversion of 40Kms to visit Lumbini if you wish). Butwal is the central point to Kathmandu OR Pokhara..

Banbasa-Mahendranagar border opens at 6AM and 12 Noon (dont know about other timings)

I have crossed this border in my own car (no hassels). If you wish to travel via India then the route is Delhi - Lucknow - Basti - Sunauli Border. (without touching Gorakhpur) - Butwal - Chitwan - Kathmandu.

I m plannig a trip myself in May end. Onward via Mahendranagar border and return via Sunauli border covering Bardiya onward and Pokhara in return journey..

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

1st leg - Delhi - Moradabad - Banbasa - Mahendranagar - Night Halt @ Bardiya National Park.

2nd leg - Next day morning - Bardiya - Butwal - Chitwan - Kathmandu (at Butwal you can take a diversion of 40Kms to visit Lumbini if you wish). Butwal is the central point to Kathmandu OR Pokhara..

Banbasa-Mahendranagar border opens at 6AM and 12 Noon (dont know about other timings)

I have crossed this border in my own car (no hassels). If you wish to travel via India then the route is Delhi - Lucknow - Basti - Sunauli Border. (without touching Gorakhpur) - Butwal - Chitwan - Kathmandu.

I m plannig a trip myself in May end. Onward via Mahendranagar border and return via Sunauli border covering Bardiya onward and Pokhara in return journey..

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

Crossing the boder is possible during working hrs into Nepal with your Indian registered vehicle. Once your in Nepal proceed to the customs dept and register your vehicle with them, then they will issue you with a temporary Nepalese green colored vehicle number plate which you should display on your dashboard or hang on top of your Indian registration number. The on going cost per day for your vehicle to enter Nepal is abour Npr 500 per day but this may have changed now.

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

i intend to go kathmandu fom birgang and then proceed to janakpur and back preferbaly with an Indian Taxi from patna .Pl. guide

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

I intend to go Kathmandu via birganj and then to Janakpur and back to Madhubani district in Bihar. I inetnd to use taxi from patna. Is it possible. Pl. guide.

Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

hi, i am planning to visit Nepal in May last from Basti. We are 13 members pl'z guide which route will be best.

What are the formalities required? means visa , charges for vehicles taken from India

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

From Basti, it would make sense to take Sunauli Route.

Basti - Sunuali Border - Bhairawa (Nepal) - Butwal - Kathmandu..

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

Hi, can anybody pls guide me about the best road route to take to kathmandu from mumbai. i intend to travel in own 4 wheeler in Feb 2014 with self drive. advise me proper night halt spots. i'm told the customs and other bordr clearances are not much of hassle and formalities get completed in 1-2 hours there. is it true?

AHMEDABAD
Level Contributor
1 post
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

Planning to enter Nepal Kathmandu Via Birgunj by road, pl advise,

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Delhi to Kathmandu in own car

Hi cgpurohit

You will get better answers if yu ask more speciic questions. What do you want to know?

(I might not be able to answer though.)

scoodly