We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Hi,

Is there any helicopter ride which actually makes you disembark on Mt. Everest and is it worth all the money?

My wife wants to experience getting down on Mt.Everest and not just passing by it.

Thanks,

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Hello ggupta1120

Yeah there is helicopter ride. You fly from tribhuvan international airport the east flying parallel to the Himalayan range and finally reach the point from where a spectacular view of mt everest can be seen then you will landing at tyangboche which is situated at an altitude of 12000 feet. spend your time watching and taking photos of everest. And return to the kathamndu. And its worth the money.

Have a safe trip

Edited: 2:24 am, February 27, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Which company provides this tour and how much does it cost?

Thanks

3. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, February 27, 2013
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Even if you take a helicopter it's not like you will really set foot on the mount everest. You'll fly up to basecamp, but a heli won't allow you to reach the summit. As you are not acclimatised getting out at such height wouldn't be an option. Basically all you'll be doing is fly up to the Everest Base Camp, make a round and land at some lower place to enjoy the mountain scenery.

In Nepal helicopter fares are extremely expensive so count on 4000 - 5000 USD to rent a helicopter for 3,5 hours and fly up to the basecamp.

Instead of renting a heli, consider taking a mountain flight.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

More or less agree with above – But think you will pay more like $2500 per hour (Or part of an hour) so with a minimum cost of $5000.

That’s a Big chunk of money when you aren’t even getting what you want !!

Good Luck

Rob

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

you did't mean to do this do you?? see link below

if you got the money for it - as a pilot i can tell you that you people even do this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HckQcNNoJc

but i am sure you meant to do the Everest flight and touch down somewhere from where you can enjoy the view correct?

let me see if you can pull this off -

contact "fishtail air" and see if you can hitch a ride to shyangboche (shengboche) on one of their sheduled pick off drop off trips from ktm - that way you could save quite a bit - otherwise they might charge you close to 4-5k for the trip. get off on shyangboche, do a gentle 30 min hike to Hotel Everest View, have a tea or breakfast there enjoying the front row seat of Mt. Everest and fly back.

but you have to time this right - not only the right season but the right day when they may be able to take you

plus you will be landing at 14.5 K altitude that may be an issue. but what an exp. you will have though

see the pic i took from Syangboche below

…blogspot.com/2012/11/ebc-2012.html

7. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 25, 2013
Edited: 7:35 am, August 25, 2013
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

There are some things that mere money cannot buy (and rightly so). Even flying in to Syanboche you will be at risk from suddenly arriving at high altitude (I believe that in its early days there were fatal collapses on the steps up into the Everest View hotel)

Avoiding the risk (although you won't be 'setting foot' anywhere) have you considered the Mountain Flight from Kathmandu, that will give you a reasonably close-up view of Everest. It's way cheaper too !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

Alanyeti I think you have given very good advice here! I used to own a heli company and some of the above discussion seems to be risky to me... I too want to see Everest but will do so on a fixed wing commercial flight!

Francesville...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter ride to Mt Everest

I also agree last two answer if you are strong desire you can do mountain flight. you can see very close view.