We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking in kathmandu

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
hiking in kathmandu

may i know a little bit baout hiking itself?is it just walking all through or we can get upto a point thorugh a vehicle ?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,690 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking in kathmandu

Yes for hiking it's better to take a local bus (they are extremely crowded) to quieter places at the rim of the city. For instance: Sankhu.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking in kathmandu

most of the hiking around ktm are done on the hills (mountains) surrounding the valley - and it requires getting to the foothills from the center of the city - which you can do by either taking a public bus or hiring a private vehicle. then you embark on a trek either doing a loop (meaning start and end at the same spot) or arrive at a different spot then take the vehicle from there back to the city. There are many to choose from – shivapuri, fulchowki, nagarkot, dhulikhel, canngu Narayan, sundarijal, chandragiri, nagarjun etc. all of these are day hikes lasting anywhere from 2 to 6 hours. you can do a multiday trek by starting from one spot and arriving at the next - like - shivapuri-sundarijal, nagarkot-dhulikhel, changunarayan-nagarkot etc

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking in kathmandu

neupaneaj

thnx a lot for your reply... actually we will be staying in crown plaza and would prefer a 2 hour hiking..... would be great if you have any tip regarding that

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking in kathmandu

I have another question as well...if i have an option to go to nagarkot by bus or have an option of hiking(not in nagarkot,but near kathmandu)..... what should i pick up?

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking in kathmandu

Hi there,

I would like to recommend you Chandragiri hiking an alternative option instead of Nagarkot. Usually, Chandragiri hiking takes 6/7 hrs but you can just climb up to first top from there you will see beyond whole valley of Kathmandu & Massif Mountain Manaslu, Ganesh Himal Langtang ranges, Gauri Shankar and Everest region as well. It takes 2 hours steep climb & same way return back...

You can drive by private car/van to Nagarkot and then hike down to Chagu narayan {world heritage} about 2/3 hours.

Good luck!!

Raju

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking in kathmandu

tanakaislam - if you want to hike for couple of hours consider doing either one of these then

option 1 - get a taxi from crown plaza hotel and go to "raniban" past "balaju" and do a two hour "nagarjun" hike. keep in mind it will take another hour or so to get down though. since it is a forest reserve gates close by 4 pm so plan to get there by noon. beautiful view of the valley and mountains cloud permitting. taxi ride would be about 30 mins from crown plaza and should not cost you more than NRs400

option 2 - if you want to do a little hike on your way to "nagarkot" get off at place "telkot". from there you hike to "nagarkot" in couple of hours. you can get to "telkot" by hiring a taxi or on a public bus from bhatkatpur.

Edited: 1:52 am, January 24, 2013
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking in kathmandu

thnx a lot :)

8. Re: hiking in kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:52 pm, February 22, 2017
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking in kathmandu

thanks a lot irock :) actually i am looking for a day tour.... not to stayover....and of course near kathmandu ...... can u pls suggest

Nashik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking in kathmandu

Persons interested for hiking in Nepal with a four wheeler modified caravan are welcome to join.