We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Kathmandu

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Kathmandu

Hi, what are the things which we can buy in kathmandu - heard that branded apparels and shoes are much cheaper than India.

What are the locations from where things can be purchased

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

Visit Durbarmarg Street Opposite The Former Royal Place ( Narayanhiti Rajdurbar) Near The Annapurna Hotel For Average Brands Like PUMA , KINGKOW ADDIDAS JARA ,BENETONS , NIKES LEVIS, BOSSINI, GIORDANO Etc There is also a Nice Shopping Mall SHERPA MALL on The Same street. & Other Malls Are 1/ City Center Mall ! 2 / Civil Mall 3 / World Trade Center Mall 4 / Bhatbhateni Super Markets Etc . Enjoy Shopping & Kathmandu Visit: Regards Raja

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

It's really tough to get real branded goods in Kathmandu. I am foreigner living in Kathmandu since couple of years and I haven't seen real branded shops except a few in Kathmandu. I would suggest to buy in home country if you can find there or in India if they are real.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

to add to #2's response above

- if you are looking for designer items - like D&G, Armani, CK, LV etc - yup - they all will be royally fake - Nepalis just don't have the purchasing power for businesses to have these types of stores

as for run of the mill Nikes & Addidas - no problemo - keep in mind that even the original are made in china - there are plenty of shops that carry these and yes prices are bit cheaper (at least when compare to BKK) - because most of the merchandise must clear without any import duty on'em. I bought a pair of addidas last year while i was in ktm, can't tell whether it is fake or original, paid about $25 (back in US i would pay about $40 for those) and they have been performing just the same

so there!!!

Edited: 11:21 am, July 04, 2012
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

Thanks All

Dear Neupaneaj - Just one more help, how much bargain is required

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

some - these malls that have recently popped up have "fixed" prices now. but even there some bargaining can be had. Oprah once said (and I paraphrase) - there is no such thing as fixed price - everything in life is negotiable. to pay absolute lowest - find the "walk away" price (you low ball and offer a price and walk away and if the shopper does not stop you - you have taken out their margin ) and work your way up from there (trying different stores offering same merchandise).

having said that i am not a big bargainer I should add - i don't bargain for just for the sake of bargaining - if it is worth to you - pay it - that’s my motto. i do that whenever i am trying to buy some ethnic items – so that it promotes local arts and crafts

Edited: 1:09 am, July 05, 2012
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

Yeah, in the mall's it;s not easy to bargain. Generally, those branded said shops have fixed prices and sometimes may be discount offers! Generally, no bargain at all!

Thanks for your input neupaneaj!

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

I shopped on Mandala Street in the Thamel across the street from Big Belly Restaurant. The shop, initials of SDH has some wonderful bronzes and other decorative arts pieces. There are pieces displayed just outside the shop flanking the entrance and many many other things inside. The shop's proprietor with whom I negotatiated the purchase seemed to have integrity and be honest, but unfortunately he was not. I purchased three bronze pieces, photographed them and had them shipped at great cost to my home in the USA. Upon the shipment's arrival at my home, two of the pieces were exactly as I had purchased, but the large expensive one had been subsitituted. The merchant denied any wrongdoing even when I provided him with pictures of both items (the one I'd purchased and the one he sent).

Unfortunately this incident has tarnished the fond memories I have of my visit to Nepal.

My advice: if you can't carry your purchase with you, take your purchase to a pack and ship shop and arrange shipping yourself rather than relying on the merchant to do it for you. I've had things sent to myself from shops in many other countries and have never had any problems.

8. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, December 22, 2012
9. Re: Shopping in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 24, 2013