We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Treks for August

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Treks for August

I am flying into Kathmandu 31st July and staying for between 2-3 weeks before I move on to India. I know that it is monsoon season, however I am volunteering in India and wanted to take the opportunity to see Nepal while I am so close.

I have been recommended the Poon Hill trek? Could anyone suggest any other treks/activities/regions that would be most suitable to explore at this time of year?

Thanks!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Treks for August

Hi

Poon Hill is the most popular short trek in Nepal because itis easily accessible from Pokhara (a good base), route finding is straightforward and there are good lodges. However, the area is one of the wettest in Nepal and August is the second wettest month.

This need not mean the trek is not enjoyable with the right gear and expectations but there are drier alternatives close by; fly in and out of Jomsom ($94 per flight) and trek to Kagbeni - Muktinath (via northern route) - Jharkot - Jomsom. It takes a leisurely 4 days but can be done in 3 or take longer to explore the villages to he west of the Gandaki or trek south of Jomsom to Marpha and return. This area is in the himalayan rain shadow and gets some 10% of the rain falling on the southern slopes. The landscape is different to the lush vegetation on the PH trek - it's an arid rocky landscape and Buddhist as opposed to the Hindu culture in the south.

If you want to trek for longer then consider the Upper Mustang trek which takes 1o days from Kagbeni (so you need to fly to J and trek for half a day) but the permits cost $500 per person- minimum two people.

Langtang valley and Helambu circuit are alternatives; about a week each but no rain shadow protection.

scoodly

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Treks for August

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into the treks under the rain shadow. Do you know whether it is possible to get in and out of Jomsom overland (as a cheaper alternative to flying)?

Also are we likely to see more or less of the mountains in Jomsom compared with the Poon Hill area? I know that visibility will be limited in all regions but I am just interested to know whether there would be a difference for photography purposes?

Thanks again,

Ben

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Treks for August

Upper Mustang is the best without any doubts but the permits are so so expensive. It's restricted area so you will need to obtain special immigration permit from Nepal Immigration to visit these areas. These areas are behind rain shadow so you will have very little chances of rain comparing to other places.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Treks for August

Hi

Yes it's possible to get a jeep or bus between Jomsom and Beni. The monsoon can make the route difficult though.

The view from Poon Hill is reasonable a panorama of the Annapurnas and Dhaulaghiri. No such panorama from J & M but you are closer to the mountains. Also, you have one shot at the PH view and the morning you go up could be cloudy.

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Treks for August

Hi,

I am a tour leader of Nepal and i can highly recommend you The Upper Mustang Trek. Getting there is quite expensive but its worth!

Thanks

Gokarna

6. Re: Best Treks for August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, July 01, 2013