We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Philadelphia...
5 posts
Save Topic
Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

My son is considering taking a gap year before starting college. He is interested in VIN's opportunity to teach English in a monastery and then either go to EBC or trek the Annapurna region through VIN. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about this organization? Many thanks.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Sarah, I'd love some suggestions. I'm pretty self sufficient and Don't need all the pampering that the inflated fees would give me. Looking for something that has to do with teaching or working in orphanages perhaps. Thanks.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Sarah, I'd love some suggestions. I'm pretty self sufficient and Don't need all the pampering that the inflated fees would give me. Looking for something that has to do with teaching or working in orphanages perhaps. Thanks.

23. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:28 am, October 03, 2013
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Hi Mortord

Did you forget you are the co-founder of that organisation?

scoodly

2 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

I see this is from a year ago, but I could use some advice on volunteering in Nepal as well. I am looking into the Innovative Social Centre in Kathmandu. I would like to work in their orphanage. Has anyone had any experience with them or do you know if this is a reputable organization? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Ann

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Hi

is this the organisation?

http://innovativevolunteer.org/

If so, it seems to be a volunteer placement organisation - see the 'about us' page - and as such it unlikely to have their own 'orphange'. They will place people in an 'orphanage' and might use more than one so will have little, if any, management control or influence in the home.

To cut to the chase, 'orphanages' are not always what they appear and the fees that volunteers are prepared to pay can be a cause of child trafficking.

This is an informative read:

https:/…on-children-s-homes

It highlights the issues and gives some tips to identify a good children's home.

Good luck.

scoodly

Edited: 3:19 pm, September 11, 2014
27. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:36 pm, September 26, 2014
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

If he keen on teaching English I can assist him with a stay with the local family in Ghandruk after his trek in the Annapurna region!

Kabul, Kabol...
2 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

Yes Janeynori i recently did volunteering with VIN in teaching english in a monastery program. That was an amazing experience for me like: live in a monastery, talk to them, teach them english language, play with them, share stories all things was amazing. That was a lifetime unforgettable moment for me. I truly refer you to go with them. you can find more info about them from here.. volunteersinitiativenepal.org/teaching-progr… as for your information that organization is running by local peoples so you don't need to worry about anything.

30. Re: Volunteer In Nepal (VIN)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:43 am, February 23, 2015