We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

seattle
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

We are going between Kathmandu and Chitwan and I keep getting different answers. How long does it take to get between the two, is there bad traffic to consider at different times of the day(we need to get to airport at specific time) and if we do a driver, about how much will it cost? Is the airport very far from Kathmandu?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

Why not take a flight from Bharatpur – This airport is only about ½ hour away from Chitwan and then about a 45 minute flight from there to Kathmandu !!

Good Luck

Rob

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
427 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

We were driven from Chitwan (Sauraha, really) to Thamel about 4 weeks ago. It took roughly 5 hours to get back to Kathmandu itself -- and then were stuck in terrible traffic for at least another hour. Which I believe is pretty standard.

You really should not plan to drive from Chitwan to the Kathmandu airport to meet some schedule. The chance that something will go wrong is too big -- a landslide blocking the road for a few hours, the traffic in Kathmandu holding you up for a few hours, et cetera. If you must go from Chitwan to the KTM airport in one day, I think that flying (as Rob suggests) is far less likely to cause trouble. But weather could easily interfere, so personally I would rearrange my schedule to avoid having to get from Chitwan to KTM airport on the same day.

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

The Distance from Kathmandu to Sauraha Chitwan (out side park) is 155 Kilometers 4 Hours on Private Car & the Inside park Lodges are approximately 175 Kilometers 5 Hours on Private car , there are also two Flights a day from kathmandu - Bharatpur By Yeti & Buddha Airlines . the Distance on flying is 25 Minutes Now Regarding the Traffic During the Early Mornings is The Best time to Move on this route, as late afternoon the Traffic gets Busy. the cost for round Trip ktm-chit-Ktm on private cars including two Nights waiting would cost $ 300~400 Depending on the type of Vehicle you take as there are luxury & Budget options the flights cost $ 89 per person one way.

Wishing You a Pleasant trip to chitwan

Regards Raja

Revelstoke, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

Flying, flying, always flying!! Easier, faster and more comfortable I guess... Jeez, does anybody know how much flying sucks for the environment? And how many people fly every day without even caring about nothing except their own desires? We should all take more responsibilities and cut off the flying as much as we can!! Flying should be the only way of traveling when no other way is possible. I had to say it!! (It's not against you personally Rob)

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

Very Old Post this –However No Offence taken – But if it wasn’t for flying then I guess the trekking / tourist industry of Nepal would be on its knees as hardly anyone would be able to get to Nepal !!

Oh Hum

Rob

Revelstoke, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

I agree Rob. I was more talking about the domestic flights though. The ones within India or Nepal. Lots could be avoided. Indeed they are very tempting and cheap for most travellers. But there's always a good reason for flying, if one wants to find one, no? I think the danger comes from that. So, think wisely before choosing to fly, people. Buses and trains are the way to go. Of course it takes more time and it's less comfortable... but you need to take time, slow down, endure and enjoy to endure, just like local people do. It's definitely a part of the experience... AND a good deed! Just sayin'

7. Re: Distance between Kathmandu and Chitwan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2014