We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days In Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
2 posts
Save Topic
5 Days In Kathmandu

Hi,

My wife and myself will be staying in Kathmandu on our way to Bhutan...any recommendations hotel wise staying off Thamel?[budget +/- $40/night..]...we're adventurous and like off beaten paths...

Any recommendations as to where to eat locally?

Thanks!

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

Hi there if you wants to stay off the thamel than staY in Bhaktapur Shiva guest house / Hotel BhAdgaon if u still want to be in Kathmandu off the Thamel try Hotel Summit / Hotel Greenwich Also u can fly to PokharA for a Night / two. You can Try Tukche Restaurant nice local Restaurant , on the North gate of NarYan hiti palace Musueam Regards Hotel Glacier Pokhara

Edited: 9:32 pm, August 22, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

KTM for 5 days huh?? If I were you I would plan for only couple nights in KTM and the rest may be on the outskirts of the valley like Dhulikhel or Nagarkot which are only hour or two away in bus/taxi. These two places are known for being much cleaner and quieter compared to hustle bustle and pollution of KTM. Plus they are at a higher elevation from the valley floor. There are good hotels/lodges there. I stayed in Club Himalya and Fort Lodge in Nagarkot. Both were not all that bad. Not sure when you will be there but if you are there late Sept/ Oct - you will be rewarded with amazing mountain views (including Everest of course) from these two places. Better yet fly to Pokhara (15 min flight) for a night or two like this other dude suggests - beautiful Annpurana range, town is laid back, a big lake in the smack middle and bunch of bars on the shore.

As for eateries my recommendation is Rum Doodle and Road House Cafe in Thamel. When you go to Patan - Cafe De Patan. In all honesty don't venture out to off beaten paths too much - specially in super polluted KTM - seems like you need to save yourself for a Bhutan trip ahead.

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

The Best Cafes OF Kathmandu

1 : Road House Cafe

2 : Fire & Ice

3 : The Coffee Shop Durbar Marg

4: Cafe Mitra

5 : Himalayan Java

Best Restaurants For Local Dishes

1 : Bhojan Griha

2: Uttsav restaurant

3: Nepali Chylo

4: Thamel House

5: Bhancha Ghar

Best Continental :

1: Nanglo Restaurant

2 : Cafereena

3 : K2 Restaurant

4 : Rum Doodles

5 : Sigma Cafe

Those Are Really Happening Places for Locals too.

Enjoy Kathmandu

Regards

Hotel Glacier Pokhara

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

I would choose The Hotel Nepalaya in Kathmandu (Which has also had good reviews on here)

This is on the edge of Thamel and is set well back from the main street so well away from both traffic and bar/restaurant noise and only opened only opened a year or so ago and is practically brand New and a bit more upmarket than the average backpacker haunt, Nice Large well furnished rooms with private bathrooms, 24 hour Hot water (Reliable) Comfortable beds, satellite TV, Osculating fans or AC for an extra charge. Nice roof terrace too.

They will also give you a free airport pick-up if you are staying more than 2 days, if you think the web-price’s are too steep then email my preferred agent as he can get you a good discount almost cutting the web price in half !! ;-) If you want his contact details then drop me a line

Lots to see and do in and around Kathmandu including

1) Buddha Air Mountain Flight

2) Bodnath

3) Visit Kopan Monastery

4) Pashupatinath

5) Swayambhunath

6) Full day in Bhaktapur

7) Durbar Square Kathmandu and Patan

Good Luck

Rob

5. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, August 24, 2011
6. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

Dear Mr Deepak, Please Read The Topic Before Replying on them its a 5 Day In Kathmandu???? How Come you gave 16 Days Of itinerary ,

Good Advertise But Think Twice Before Posting it Probably You Should Post This on Your Web site This is a Public community Site where you have to Be socialized & Contributed to Others than For your Self .

Good Luck

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

Gil,

There are a few option you can stay in hotels out of hotel and there are a few hotel off thamel. During your stay you can also visit different cultural heritages sights in and out of Kathmandu also perhaps over night in Nagarkot seems a good idea. You can even do more or less 4 hours of hike to Nagarkot.

Good luck..

Oakland, California
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Days In Kathmandu

thank you all for your input...the trend is obvious, we'll have to go back :)

peace.