We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

I'm contemplating taking a side trip of 4-5 days to Nepal from the UAE this fall. I might end up doing this on my own and wondered if anyone has safety advice for me. I'm an Asian Canadian in my 30's btw.

Although my time there would be limited, I'd like to see a bit of the mountains, temples and shopping/people/restos. Of course I'd be travelling on the cheap and was hoping for affordable, safe advice if anyone could lend a hand including hotels.

Lastly, although I'm an active adventurous person and seasoned traveller, I'm not the most athletically gifted. Is there an easy way to see/view the Mt Everest and/or Himalayas without paying an arm and a leg for the plane view or actually hiking it yourself?

Thank you.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

Safety isn't really a problem. Follow the link under 'Top Questions' on the top of the Nepal Forums page. It might be worth calling in to one of the many companies with offices in Thamel and hiring a guide for at least a day of sight-seeing around Kathmandu, and possibly for a trip to Bhaktapur. That way you'll probably see far more, and won't be bothered by street-touts offering to guide you.

"Is there an easy way to see/view the Mt Everest and/or Himalayas without paying an arm and a leg for the plane view or actually hiking it yourself?"

Everest - NO - you'd have to fly to and from Lukhla, and walk for at least three days, or pay a lot for a 45 minute Mountain Flight !

However you'll get good views of the Jugal and Langtang Himals (though at about 15 miles distance) from rooftops in Kathmandu

You could consider taking a taxi to Nagarkot and staying there overnight for good (weather permitting) views of sunset and sunrise over the mountains.

toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

Thanks so much for your advice and assurance on safety.

kathmandu
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

First of all if you dont want to go so far and still see the mountains and all the best place for you will be pokhara wasting your time in kathmandu and going to nagarkot and not seeing anything will not be nice trip since it particulary depends also on which season you are coming if you are here on the middle of september then you might get lucky to even see everest from nagarkot which is indeed 2 hrs drive from kathmandu city and is a small hill station. on the other hand about the security situation everything is nice in nepal you wouldnt get alone in kathmandu walking on the streets,cafes and resturent you will always run into travellers around going from one place.to another.But particually kathmandu and especaillly thamel can be expenisive. sine its very touristic..so its best to stay in the freak street areas which used to hippies place and this has a old palace around so its beautiful as well. If you want a address of nice guest house you can try Monumental lodge(which is in freak street and cost you like 200Rs for a day or something) and if you want to stay in thamel try(Pilgrims guest house its nice one as well and not noisy and cheap and nice as well).Happy travels.

kathmandu
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

If you decide to go to pokhara i always recommed to all of my friends to go to Peace eye guest house.. its such a lovely place and only cost you like 200-300 for a room and there are local bars and resturent around full of travellers and they have really good food.

happy travels

Kathmandu, Nepal
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

Hi there.. you can get room in Kathmandu U$ 5 to$ 200 that will be safety hotel

toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

thank you all for your wonderful advice......after reading your replies and some of the other topics, Nepal sounds like a very safe place. Thanks again for taking the time to write back to me.

7. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, July 27, 2010
UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

Hi I will be travelling in Nepal for about a month starting mid september. I am solo female traveller from the Uk .if you would like to meet up for a coffee or suchlike at some point ???

Edited: 3:46 pm, July 31, 2010
toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

Hi MMaille,

That sounds like a fab idea. I haven't yet made up my mind as to when I am going. Either mid November or early October in which we could possibly meet up if we are in the same villages. I'll actually know my dates precisely by end of next week and will let you know then. Would be great to get together. Cheers!

10. Re: Lone Female Traveller in Nepal - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, August 07, 2010