We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

will be visiting from Canada to Nepal for a wedding. What kind of clothing should I bring for the trip generally and for the wedding. Thanks.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi there,

I think if you can wear some Nepalese style cloths that would be great. I do not think that you may get Nepalese style cloths in Canada so you can try a tailoring shop in Nepal once you come here.

Try this:

"Daura, Suruwal, Coat, Dhaka Topi [Nepali Topi]

It can be great if you can wear above mentioned cloths!

Upendra Duwadi

Travel Consultant And Trek Guide

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

thanks for your reply.

another question, would it be proper to bring for the rest of the trip that isnt wedding oriented......capri pants? I understand 'shorts' are out of the question. I only own one skirt and 1 dress (summer) ..... here in canada I am always in shorts. Thanks.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi again,

I think that should be fine as you assume. It's ok to wear normal dresses that you wear in Canada excpet some very shorts like Bikinis.

Please post if you need more information!

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
287 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi

Namaste

I guess you are a female so you have much more choices. You can wear traditional nepali dress like sari and blouse or also can ear kurta suruwal. You can get may designs and colour shades..with some fake traditionla type ornaments [neckless, bracelets, earrings etc] I suggest you to wear sari in wedding ceremony and an evening gown in the party.

For daily/other use you can wear formal informal dresses...July is warm so you can wear light dress like pant, skirt, halfpants or miniskirts in kathmandu but avoid mini dress out of kathmandu and pokhara as people still have some traditional views about dressing for ladies in nepali society.

Thank you

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
287 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi

Namaste

I guess you are a female so you have much more choices. You can wear traditional nepali dress like sari and blouse or also can ear kurta suruwal. You can get may designs and colour shades..with some fake traditionla type ornaments [neckless, bracelets, earrings etc] I suggest you to wear sari in wedding ceremony and an evening gown in the party.

For daily/other use you can wear formal informal dresses...July is warm so you can wear light dress like pant, skirt, halfpants or miniskirts in kathmandu but avoid mini dress out of kathmandu and pokhara as people still have some traditional views about dressing for ladies in nepali society.

Thank you

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

thank you for your response and ideas.

Klaipeda, Lithuania
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hello,

I will go a wedding in October. What kind of weather we should expect? Please, tell me about the suitable colors for wedding dresses/sari? Is there any color i should be careful with? What about the evening gown - should it also be in Nepal style?

Thank you

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi varliukas,

The weather will be better in October because that's one of the best month in Nepal to travel.

Basically, the Red color is considered as a good one because most of the Nepalese people wear Sari in Red color and if you are widow then you are not allowed to wear Red color as per the religion and traditional values. Regarding the evening grown it's better to wear Nepali style if you can, if you can't then it's fine to wear normal dresses.

Regards,

Upendra

Klaipeda, Lithuania
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hi, Upendra!

Thank you for the help

Varliukas

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: proper dress for nepalise wedding in kathmandu july......

Hello,

I just want to correct the post #8 that, there is no restriction to wear Red dress for widows. Rather they are being encouraged to wear the color of their choice. However most of the Hindu widows prefer not to wear colorful (Red !) dresses in respect of their late loved one. Please note that, there is no any color code in Nepal.

Hope you have some idea.