We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Kathmandu...

Seattle...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Kathmandu...

Hello,

My partner and I are going to Kathmandu for 6 or 7 days in March and I was wondering if there was much to do outside of trekking? She will be there for work for 2 of the days and I will be left to my own devices and am not a trekker.

Are there things to do, see for those of us not so inclined to climb mountains?

Cheers.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Kathmandu...

There's more to Nepal than mountains - it has a fascinating culture, diverse environments. and delightful people.

Do I assume that you'll be in Kathmandu for all 6 - 7 days or are you interested in seeing other parts/aspects of Nepal ?

Kathmandu itself is an incredible experience, and merits a couple of days at least: Dhurbar Square, Bodnath, Swayambunath, Pathan Dhurbar Square, and just walking the streets, chatting to people, and trying to make sense of it.

A ninety minute taxi ride would take you to Nagarkot, preferably arriving in the afternoon then staying overnight for great sunset and sunrise views of distant mountains. Return via Bhaktapur, another incredibly rich cultural experience.

Consider going down to Chitwan National Park (in the Terai - the low, jungly bit, with rhinos, elephants, and even the very occasional tiger - for a couple of days

Fly to Pokhara (25 minute flight with great views of the mountains) and chill beside the lake for a day or two.

Take a couple of days for a rafting trip on the Trisuli river.

There's 10 days worth without setting foot on a mountain !

Edited: 7:13 pm, January 28, 2010
Seattle...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Kathmandu...

Awesome! Thank you, all I've found on the forums are trek, trek, trek!

I hope to not be in Kathmandu for the whole time, just using it as a base since the hospital my partner is talking at is just outside KTM.... looking forward to putting your suggestions to use! Kinda hoping for a change of pace (slooow down) after a month in the hustle and bustle of India!

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Kathmandu...

Hi

Namaste

It is not necessary for all to trek or hike or mountain climbing. There are other so many things to do except these. It seems ou will be in kathmandu for 2 days and in two days you can visit historical sites and museums in kathmandu, bhaktapur and patan durbar squares. Some of the trmples are thousands years old like changu narayan in bhaktapur(not in Durbar square) etc... You can try bunzy jumping and other adventurous sports, spasThe last rsort arrange everything required for it and very reasonable costing

The hospital your friend is talking is out of kathmandu is it in dhulikhel or near kathmandu valley? Dulikhel itself is a popular tourist destination for serenity and beautiful scenery.

As above post suggests Pokhara and Chitwan are also great places to visit. I suggest you to visit Lumbini too the birthplace of lord Buddha which is few hours drive from chitwan....

you can choose village homestay pacakges too ( 4-5 nights) which may refresh you and provides oppurtunity to know te local people and life style. One of the simple, easy and near kathmandu valley is Godavari village homestay and the given link may help you.

explorevillage.com/villages/godavari_village…

Thank you

Edited: 12:37 am, January 29, 2010
Seattle...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Kathmandu...

Awesome! Now I'm excited! We are taking the train/bus from Delhi so hoping to see a fair amount, as much as can be seen during the day portion of the trip.

Will definitely check out some rafting and all the other suggestions.

The hospital is Anandaban Leprosy hospital which is just outside of KTM? Or so I've been told!

Thanks again!

5. Re: What to do in Kathmandu...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 29, 2010